Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Color change saber w/Rebel RGB

The LEDEngine is a great idea. I plan on using it myself.

Why not use the LEDEngine RGBA with a ten position switch?

How does the brightness fair with the split current in the color mixes (RG, GB, RB, RGB)?

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    The problem with RGBs... is that there's 3 LEDs to manage and drive. And the methods used, depend on one's own preferences.

But about as simple as it goes: a rotary switch with and RGB LED would be the best [simplest] course of action.

My personally prefered set-up :

While it doesn't have the best light output per color, the LEDEngine RGGB is a great LED.
    http://ledengin.com/products/10wLZ/LZ4-00MC10.pdf

8-position rotary switch: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...WITCH/-/1.html

driver control (corbin driver, ultrasound, CF, MR) - something that will provide regulated current.

edit: diagram attached
    Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks so much for this information and the easy-to-read diagram, Master Eastern!

The problem with RGBs... is that there's 3 LEDs to manage and drive. And the methods used, depend on one's own preferences.

But about as simple as it goes: a rotary switch with and RGB LED would be the best [simplest] course of action.

My personally prefered set-up :

While it doesn't have the best light output per color, the LEDEngine RGGB is a great LED.
    http://ledengin.com/products/10wLZ/LZ4-00MC10.pdf

8-position rotary switch: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...WITCH/-/1.html

driver control (corbin driver, ultrasound, CF, MR) - something that will provide regulated current.

edit: diagram attached
    A question about the LedEngin RGGB and your diagram. Since the LedEngin actually contains 4 LEDs, how precisely do you wire it to the 8-position switch? Do you wire the two green LEDs together to have them always on or off together?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    A question about the LedEngin RGGB and your diagram. Since the LedEngin actually contains 4 LEDs, how precisely do you wire it to the 8-position switch? Do you wire the two green LEDs together to have them always on or off together?
    Yup. But try different combinations. Once you have the LED, you'll see that one green will produce a different color mix (w/R & B) than two greens. Same thing with series vs parallel.

And please don't call me "master" I am, by no means, a master

Yup. But try different combinations. Once you have the LED, you'll see that one green will produce a different color mix (w/R & B) than two greens. Same thing with series vs parallel.

And please don't call me "master" I am, by no means, a master
    Great. Thanks again, Ma--er, Eastern.

So, has anyone tried to match up an RGB (or RGGB or RGBA) LED with the board from the Clone Wars Ultimate Lightsaber? I just got the latter today, and am going to try to track down the LEDengin RGGB LED Eastern introduced, and order a rotary switch, as well.
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 12-17-2008 at 03:05 AM.

Luxeon has some new lenses with holders for the Rebel including a 6 degree lens. I wonder if this will make them as good to have as the Seoul or Prolight versions.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Those new rebel Hex optics are for individual rebel emitters on a pcb or star - the Endor star is the tri-rebel. There ARE optics that fit standard Endor (tri-rebel) stars, but it's either to wide an angle (25deg) or the 181 color mixer, and those are huge.

Xwingband has a good, working solution for tri-rebels, but they're specially made and they're not the stardard Endor stars.

Those new rebel Hex optics are for individual rebel emitters on a pcb or star - the Endor star is the tri-rebel. There ARE optics that fit standard Endor (tri-rebel) stars, but it's either to wide an angle (25deg) or the 181 color mixer, and those are huge.

Xwingband has a good, working solution for tri-rebels, but they're specially made and they're not the stardard Endor stars.
    Is it worth the trouble when LedEngin has RGGB and RGBA LEDs available? I've just ordered one of each and am hoping to find a way to use them with the guts of my Clone Wars Ultimate Lightsaber. I wonder if the Luxeon lenses and lens holders sold here at TCSS will fit the LedEngins.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The silicon emitter domes on the LEDEngine LEDs are a micron bigger than the holes on standard collimators, and unfortunately, if you force them on, when you remove them - the dome will come off before the collimator will.