Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Color change saber w/Rebel RGB

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Color change saber w/Rebel RGB

This is a Rebel RGB run off of an MR Anakin board (4.5V <1A). I'm using the 8-position rotary push-button that I showed off in the other thread, here it is again:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...WITCH/-/1.html

Also the low-profile tri-lens from luxeonstar.com.

The wiring is fairly simple, if not cumbersome: battery, board, 8-pos switch, LED...there was just a lot of wires. But all in all, I was very pleased with the results. This is just the preliminary test, and I plan to do more, but here's what I got for now - I like it and it sure beats the heck outta stringing LEDs together for hours on end...

I shut it off a few times to show you that you can leave it on which ever color you like and it doesn't reset anything. I did it with the purple and the yellow.

ref here for last update in other thread:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...?t=5145&page=2

direct link:
    http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MOV03668.flv

eastern57
    Last edited by eastern57; 11-27-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Not bad....not bad at all.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Awesome man. This is basically the next best thing to doing GeluKhan's method of 3 pots, one for each LED. Actually...you can't really say which one is better. GeluKhan's is better for fine tuning colors whereas yours is easier to switch between them.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    Awesome man. This is basically the next best thing to doing GeluKhan's method of 3 pots, one for each LED. Actually...you can't really say which one is better. GeluKhan's is better for fine tuning colors whereas yours is easier to switch between them.
    True. This set-up would be better for people who don't need to fine tune the colors. Like me. Speaking of which - the color response is much different now that the Blue and Green are being driven a little better - I changed the pack to a 6V, took out the MR board, and threw on a resistor - just to see what it's like. The color blends are phenomenal but the angle of the lens is way too much... it's a "25 degree" lens.

As far as brightness/evenness... it's about on par with a color filtered white k2.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

25 degree lens means 50 degrees total. That's way to wide of a angle for a saber. God when will they make a fricken Endor optic that works for us?
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

"Hear, Hear" ... It would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Eastern this is some GOOD stuff! Grayven would be proud, heheh. My only comments:

* I would avoid the Rebel altogether (for now)... for LED saber purposes, it's better to have an RGB under one dome instead of separate ones

* The reason the Rebel lens will likely NEVER get "better" than the "25 deg" lens... is again: b/c of the 3 separate LED domes separated by a few mm each. Bad for us. Good for other projects. But... BAD for US.

* So... choose a different LED--maybe the Seoul RGB or even Prolight

* You COULD do some kind of relay setup where the LED could be given more/the "correct" amperage while not destroying the MR board

I think you know all of this, but... I can safely say that the biggest thing to avoid is that Rebel. It was a mistake that I ever posted excitement about it (for OUR purposes as saber "freaks").

The Rebel serves a decent purpose for SOME things... but unless some funky REFLECTOR is set up (that would resemble an hourglass)... that is both efficient AND small/compact... the Rebels will be pretty useless compared to a "one dome" solution.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

So that means no Tri-Rebel clash flash set up until we get better optic? Still, thanks for posting a demo

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Not done yet...

Okay, here's the latest:

Rebel RGB connected to 8-position switch, 6V pack, 1.5ohm 5w resistor... and a regular 10 degree lens / k2 lens holder... no special optics

Seriously, I was surprised with this one... but, you make your own call.

This is next to my Seoul P4 green @1.2A/7.4V (also a 10 degree lens).

direct link:
    http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MOV03669.flv

eastern57
    Last edited by eastern57; 09-01-2008 at 11:01 AM.

If using just a normal K2 10* optic was pretty effective, I wonder how a 5* would go?

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682