Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thick Walled Blade Comparison Pictures

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Default Thick Walled Blade Comparison Pictures

ALL OF THE PICS ARE UP

There isn't really any comprehensive set of pictures on these forums that compares the major blade diffusers (Corbin, TCSS, Ultra, Xwing). I posted these pictures on FX-Sabers a while ago and figured I'd move them here too.

Camera Stats/Picture angles
    My camera is a Canon PowerShot SD800 IS. For exposure there are 5 settings; +2, +1, 0, -1, and -2. I think that -2 provides the best representation of the actual blade brightness, so that is what I use. There are 3 different camera angles in the pictures. Full blade, top 1/3 of the blade, and looking from the hilt up to the tip of the blade. Each picture is taken twice, once with flash and once without.

Saber related stuff
    For these pictures I used 3 different luxeon sabers and 3 different blade types.
    The Corbin blade is a double wrap. All the blades are 36" long. All blades are thick walled polycarbonate.

Anakin ROTS Royal Blue (Corbin, TCSS, Ultra/GeluKhan)
    MHS 5W Green driven off Ultrasound (Corbin, TCSS, Ultra/GeluKhan, Xwing) VS Stock MR Luke ROTJ
    Darth Maul 3W Red (Corbin, TCSS, Ultra/GeluKhan, Xwing) VS Stock MR Vader ESB

The Anakin only has three blade types because I didn't have a Xwing blade when I still owned that saber

Blade Info

• Tim's (TCSS) blade diffuser- A milky white diffuser that is similar to the MR
    • Gelu's film (polypropylene)and Ultra's film (Acetate) - Gives a very even blade. Similar to cellophane gift wrap.
    • Corbin's film (polycarbonate substrate)- Gives a distinct coring affect and is used mostly in conjunction with his driver board available in the store.
    • Xwing's blade - 1/16" thick nylon tubing with Gelu's film rolled up inside. Very even blade and lights up all the way to the edges which eliminates the "light in tube" effect.

Now onto the pictures.

DARTH MAUL VS. STOCK MR VADER

Corbin Blade

TCSS Blade

Ultra Film/
    GeluKhan

MHS 5W GREEN VS. STOCK MR LUKE ROTJ

Corbin Blade

TCSS Blade

Ultra Film/GeluKhan

ANAKIN ROTS WITH ROYAL BLUE LED
    Corbin Blade

TCSS Blade

Ultra Film/GeluKhan

A HUGE thank you to Lord Dottore Matto and Maverick J. Smith for editing the pictures for me. Without them I couldn't have posted these.
    Last edited by Lord Maul; 01-19-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Last edited by Novastar; 09-22-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Help Lord Maul get all the photos together
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Sith Lord

The reason I said "Ultrafilm" was because I got the stuff FROM Alex. I can change it easily enough...Certainly can't hurt.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

What about the combo diffusion? Poly P + Corbin film? Thats about the most even there is, if used in the correct quantities.

Or another combo I've tried: Rolling about a yards worth of poly P into a stock MR blade w/plastic diffuser still in it, or the same amount of poly P inside one of Tim's diffused blades.

Seems to be about as even as the corbin+poly P, except not much for extraction/retraction.

And another thing I have found, is that the way the tip is constructed adds a major factor for evenness. I noticed most of the tips in the comparison photos had noticeable tip flaring.

Instead of making my own, the best tips I've used so far are Ultra's tips. Esp his new ones, which utilize some tinting in the plastic to reduce the flaring with great results IMO.

Are there distinctions among these as combat ready vs. display blades? That would also be nice to know as a new person doing comparisons.

Thanks for the great pics.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

33" tcss blade with 3 foot of pollyP, luxIII cyan bin 2 driven by corbin driver.
    Iam going to make another blade like this when I can get a nylon tube for my thinwalled blade.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...litroomnof.jpg
    http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...f/SD530359.jpg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Looks good Lord Maul! (BTW the greens are ready)
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

@Phil: I'd do a combo blade comparison but I don't have one handy unfortunately. When and if I get one I'll get pictures of that too. My tips are just the standard TCSS tip with the aluminum reflective disk added. I don't know about Xwing's, maybe he can chime in here.

@Donnovan: Display blades are 1/16" thick. The battle blades (What are pictured) are 1/8" thick.

@Dottore: Thanks, uploading now
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

its nice to be able to see them all side by side! I think that I speak for all of us when I say that we appreciate all of the time that we know it took you to do this and that we say thankyou!

Stuff like this makes the forum great!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I have to say Xwings blade is VERY VERY VERY even, its beats Ultra and is nearly as even as that stock MR

And I have to agree with Killphil on the Erv' style blade, next to Xwings blade I can see them having little difference in terms of evenness

Thanks for uploading LD!

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682