Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Basics of Thread Tapping

I definitely agree with Rathan and Nachttoter, a center drill is considered a good machining practice when drilling any hole. Particularly when the hole is at the top center of a cylinder such as a saber hilt or blade holder. Even a new or sharpened twist drill can wander when brought into contact with the piece being drilled. The center drill provides a starting point for the drill to bite into the material. However, finding center drills in your local hardware stores may be difficult. In a pinch, you may use a punch to make a starting place, just be gentle with the aluminum. As for tapmagic, it is what the name says: MAGIC! Not that saber building involves many hard materials, but I've tapped some deep, blind holes in things like stainless and tapmagic makes all the difference. Having said that, a little bit goes a long way when tapping a small hole. You only need enough to coat the tap and preserve the cutting edge. It will also help metal chips cling to the shallows of the tap rather than becoming gummed up in the hole. I mention using a small amount because it can really make an oily mess of your part.
    Last edited by J-Saber33; 12-29-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    What the heck is an aluminum falcon?!

Which of the screws 8-32 x 3/8" Stainless Steel thumb screw and 8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw fits with the 8-32 Tap & drill set and/or 10-32 Tap & drill set? (If they dont fit - what do I need to which?

Any 8-32 screw will fit in a hole made by the 8-32 tap and drill set.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Any 8-32 screw will fit in a hole made by the 8-32 tap and drill set.
    Is the difference between 3/8" and 1/2" that small? (I am from Norway and not used to the imperial units).
    Personal home page: ilpostino.no // Photo page: pentaxianer.no // Travel blog: Globetrekker.no

3/8" is 0.9525 cm. 1/2" is 1.27 cm.

If you get a screw that is too long, you can always file it down until it is the proper length. You can't stretch a screw that is too short.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

So 3/8" and 1/2" is the length of the screw and not the widt?
    Personal home page: ilpostino.no // Photo page: pentaxianer.no // Travel blog: Globetrekker.no

Quote Originally Posted by ilpostino View Post
    So 3/8" and 1/2" is the length of the screw and not the widt?
    That is correct.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Neat. So what is the difference between the 8-32 Tap & drill set and 10-32 Tap & drill set?

the 10-32 will be bigger (width wise)

Quote Originally Posted by ilpostino View Post
    Neat. So what is the difference between the 8-32 Tap & drill set and 10-32 Tap & drill set?
    Those refer to the "width" of the screw (simplistically speaking). 8-32 taps are used for 8-32 sized screws, and 10-32 taps are used for 10-32 sized screws.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com