Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basics of Thread Tapping

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I have gotten away with tapping aluminum in the past without using lubricant, but I think I really should start. An ounce of prevention...

Board Lurker

First, please forgive my ignorance, I have never tapped a hole before. What kind of lubricant would you guys recommend? I have white lithium grease, would that be ok? I saw someone mentioned alcohol, do you mean like isopropyl alcohol? Thanks guys.

PS: Thanks Lord Maul, this tutorial is a godsend.
    Last edited by Skaboom; 09-07-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added the thank you.

Default lube

oil or wd-40 would probably be ideal. I think the lubricants are more geared toward high speed drill taps. I have done all mine by hand (without lubricant) and they all turned out fine). However, I may be skating on thin ice.

think of lubricant as an insurance policy. if you dont have it you may regret it, if you have it chances are you will be better off.
    In my opinion, WD-40 is good and if easy to find . Personally I think kerosene is the best for aluminim.

I just noticed that the metric equivalents are all off by one level.

8-32 should be M4x0.7.
    6-32 is M3.5 x .06.
    10-32 (I'm assuming that's "UNF") is M5 x .08.
    4-40 is M3 x .05.

I think these are the thread sizes most commonly used in sabersmithing. Here's a complete chart.

This is an easy one for metrics... to find the right size drill bit for the tap subtract the thread pitch from the screw size. Example: M5 screw with a .7 thread pitch would require a 4.3 drill bit.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

The metric list was posted by someone on FX Sabers. I'll update it with yours Matt
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by B5813 View Post
    This is an easy one for metrics... to find the right size drill bit for the tap subtract the thread pitch from the screw size. Example: M5 screw with a .7 thread pitch would require a 4.3 drill bit.
    Wow. I never noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    The metric list was posted by someone on FX Sabers. I'll update it with yours Matt
    Thanks, Lord Maul.

I am interested in thread sizes used in the MHS pommels and hilt bodies. Mainly threads per inch. I am attempting to cut threads on my custom hilt and I like the way the MHS hilts are put together. I would like to make my own threads on my custom sabers with exact thread sizes as the ones used in the MHS sabers. If anybody knows the specs, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

VSXUltra

Quote Originally Posted by vsxultra View Post
    I am interested in thread sizes used in the MHS pommels and hilt bodies. Mainly threads per inch. I am attempting to cut threads on my custom hilt and I like the way the MHS hilts are put together. I would like to make my own threads on my custom sabers with exact thread sizes as the ones used in the MHS sabers. If anybody knows the specs, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

VSXUltra
    That sounds like a major challenge, considering that not even all of TCSS' MHS parts screw together smoothly. I have an MHS saber that is about a quarter of an inch from completion, the quarter of an inch being the last span of thread that is stuck so firmly I can't get it in any farther. To be honest I feel a bit screwed over. (Pun intended.) I know I can send it to TCSS for Tim to fix, but I live in Japan, and there's an Ultrasound 2.0 board in there that can't be removed, so the cost of insured shipping makes that solution pretty unappealing.

But if you do go ahead with your plan, I suggest you give your threads a bit more leeway than those of the MHS parts. These are illuminated sabers were making here, not space shuttles.