Thread: Alternative Blade holder Question

Default Alternative Blade holder Question

I found a Piece of PVC; bout 5 1/2 inches long. The inner Diameter is about 1" wide. I figured that maybe it could be used as an alternative to the Sinktube blade holder for the saber I'm trying to make. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

A 1" inner diameter PVC pipe should be fine for a blade holder, if your using 1" outside diameter blade. It'll be a tight fit, so you might have to do some sanding. The only drawback is how to place the LED heat sink/module in--or at the base of--the PVC blade holder so it doesn't rattle around like crazy.

And how to attach the PVC blade holder to the main body of your saber. But it can be done! I'm in a similar situation, due to unconventional materials choices.

Hope that helps!

Any tips on doing so in this situation?

This hobby requires a lot of reading and searching
    - In the forums, go to the "New to the saber scene, start here" section
    - open the sticky'd "thread Index" thread
    - way near the bottom you will find:

Jay-gon's PVC Hilts Full tutorial on last page

After reading it. Spend a few weeks reading all the other posts

The same techniques for this work for a metal sink tube saber, I assume?

Lots of reading for sure, Sevinzol whew. Spent the better part of a semester just reading through mountains of posts before even creating an account!

As far as tips go, it really depends on your design with the sink tube for how best to attach the blade holder. With a 1" inner diameter sized PVC pipe, it usually has an outside diameter of 1.3", so depending on the inner diameter of your sink tube, there could be some wiggle room. You can search through Home Depot/Lowes/favorite parts store for PVC couplers and adapters that could join the PVC to the sink tube.

Regarding the LED module, as Sevinzol referred to Jay-gon's PVC Hilt Tutorial has detail on creating a LED housing using polycarbonate tubing.

Half fun