Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Purple LED

You said you used no optics to focus the light, correct? If so, you really did an excellent job of keeping everything lined up when you soldered the LEDs. When I try my hand at this, I am looking at using a small laser collimator lens to focus the light into a tight pattern.

I ended up ordering a bulk pack of 50 UV LEDs off of eBay that are rated at 3500 microcandela, 20mA forward current, water clear...and appear (from the photos) to emit in the deep end of "purple". I can hardly wait!

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark? How will you know the good unless you have flirted with the evil?

The optics should focus the light better, this for me was an experiment to find a better purple blade. I may even build a complete purple lightsaber now.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

Ho-Rah!!! You better! I'd say you definitely found a better purple! Send us some schematics! Don't keep it a secret!

After all that I have learned about sabers from Tim and everyone here I would never keep secrets. That is the whole purpose of this forum to share information, but the kind words are nice too.

Do-Clo

This purple saber makes me want on soooooooooo much more.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

Here is the diagram of the way that I arranged the uV leds in a circle. You could use heat shrink tubing or hot glue to hold them together your choice

This is the circuit that I designed to drive a led. It is a constant current circuit so the brightness doesn't change as the battery goes dead plus it gives you longer life out of your battery. I used a 9 volt battery but this circuit will work with 9 - 12 volts.

My skills with MS paint are lacking, which is the reason for the hand drawn diagrams.

Do-Clo

Great Design I really like how it turned out.[]

May the Force
    Be with You

Marc E.

What about making one big UV LED the size of the Luxeon, sticking that into the Luxeon, and using that...?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jedi_ the0ry

What about making one big UV LED the size of the Luxeon, sticking that into the Luxeon, and using that...?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No one makes a large uV led at this time so you must use many small ones to get the brightness.

Do-Clo
    Sith Lord
    Brotherhood of the Sith

There is a 1W uv led emittor 400nm, 350mA at DX for only $8.
    Anyone tried soldering this onto a star and collimating it yet?
    I think the output might be better than a array of uncollimated leds with low output.