Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: George Lucas hero or Villian

I look at Lucas like a fallen jedi, once great, once dynamic and innovative, now a shell of his former self. I think he started falling with the creation of the ewoks. Really, when you come right down to it, that was pandering. I could forgive such things if they weren't ultimately unnecessary, it's not that I think star wars should be for adults only, I grew up on the OT, but the magic of the original movies (ep. IV & V more than VI) was that both kids and adults could appreciate all of the elements.

He started going away from this in RotJ when he realized the marketing potential rested mostly with children, and TPM was probably the worst of the bigscreen offerings in the franchise until clone wars. I had hope for the series after ep II and III which I felt redeemed alot, and had much less of the outright pandering that TPM had, and I thought that maybe he'd actually listened to fans and critics.

Then came clone wars (not the CTN micro series, the new one), really the pandering is back and it's worse than ever before, I'm not saying it doesn't have it's moments, Ashoka is good when she's in combat and not giving random characters annoying and pointless nicknames, and the combat scenes between droid and clone forces were awsome. But pretty much everything else is just childish.

Everything is childish. it is keeping the series alive. u may not be happy wiht it but, if u look at movies that arent childish they are ***ual and use a lot profanity. Wich doesnt bug me cause they are good movies and funny but Star Wars is not about that. I think it will change again. just be patient. lol
    "There are no Jedi who cannot be Seduced! With time they will all Fall. Do not underestimate the Temptations of the Dark Side!"

+LordBane+

Quote Originally Posted by LordBane21 View Post
    Everything is childish. it is keeping the series alive. u may not be happy wiht it but, if u look at movies that arent childish they are ***ual and use a lot profanity. Wich doesnt bug me cause they are good movies and funny but Star Wars is not about that. I think it will change again. just be patient. lol
    A thing does not have to be childish for a child to appreciate it, nor does it need to be ***ual or profane for an adult to enjoy it, the original trilogy was so good because it straddled this line quite well, the prequels, especially TPM didn't do nearly as well in this respect, and it was mostly because lucas tried to pander one way or the other. When lucas starts to compromise his own creative vision in order for it to be marketable, I won't hesitate to call him on it.
    Last edited by Darth_DevilGuy; 09-29-2008 at 12:21 PM.

good point
    "There are no Jedi who cannot be Seduced! With time they will all Fall. Do not underestimate the Temptations of the Dark Side!"

+LordBane+

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_DevilGuy View Post
    A thing does not have to be childish for a child to appreciate it, nor does it need to be ***ual or profane for an adult to enjoy it, the original trilogy was so good because it straddled this line quite well, the prequels, especially TPM didn't do nearly as well in this respect, and it was mostly because lucas tried to pander one way or the other. When lucas starts to compromise his own creative vision in order for it to be marketable, I won't hesitate to call him on it.
    Great analysis. You don't have to have *** scenes and profanity for me to enjoy your movie but don't insult my intelligence with the CW kiddie crap. Common, there is killing and other bad things happening in this series....so why pander to children. You want to do that...make a Ewok SW series with lots of sing along and leave out the violence and ***ual innuendos. Rate it G and well will accept it for what it is. Find your balance Georgie or find something else to wreck. Leave SW alone.

Melek
    There is no light or dark. This is the true nature of the Force. I stand before you with knowledge and understanding. You stand before me with a lightsaber.

I didi not mean SW had to be kiddie. ANd that good movies have to have profanity and ***, they dont. I am just saying in this day and age a lot of ppl want that. I didnt mean to insult. But GL is the father of star wars. He is not wrecking anything he is appealing to what will keep it alive. And frankly he can do what the hell he wants cause it is his. I think ppl are getting away from GL's SW and are going to Expaned Universe more and seeing how amazing it is and then they turn around and see CW and think "well Gl sucks now he cant do anything right" but we have been away from his version of SW (the Original) we forget what SW started out as and is going to be.

+LordBane+

I didi not mean SW had to be kiddie. ANd that good movies have to have profanity and ***, they dont. I am just saying in this day and age a lot of ppl want that. I didnt mean to insult. But GL is the father of star wars. He is not wrecking anything he is appealing to what will keep it alive. And frankly he can do what the hell he wants cause it is his. I think ppl are getting away from GL's SW and are going to Expaned Universe more and seeing how amazing it is and then they turn around and see CW and think "well Gl sucks now he cant do anything right" but we have been away from his version of SW (the Original) we forget what SW started out as and is going to be.
    I like the EU because it's more like the OT than anything lucas has done since, granted there's bits I don't like and tend to ignore cough*yuzanvong*cough, but I find more compelling and universal stories in the EU works where the "cannon" has turned mostly to selling toys to five year old children.

I don't see anything wrong with little kids liking star wars, like I said I grew up watching it from the time I was 4, but I didn't like those first movies any less for the lack of jar jar binks or having kid vader get shoehorned into the story as Jesus.

Like I said, there's a difference between Kid friendly and childish, either Lucas got, lucky several times or he just got greedy.

I see excatly where each person comes from. I like EU more than anything cause ppl can do so much with it since it isnt cannon. its more interesting to see where SW will go. I just want ppl to give GL respect caue EU like an SW spin off wouldnt exsist without him. Sorry if i made anyone mad woth previouse comments.

+LordBane+

I am just saying in this day and age a lot of ppl want that.
    Couldn't disagree more with you. I don't know anyone personally that is in that sort of mindset. I have alot of friends that agree with me about the decline of the SW movies. My son even agreed with me. He is 15. My daughter didn't want to go see CW or Ep II and III because TPM sucked so bad. She said...Jar Jar was too annoying and took away from the movie. Should have had more Darth Maul...i.e. a more mature storyline. She is now 17.

I compare SW to Tim Burton's Batman Movies. They started out good..but took a huge dive. Now, my son and I both thought Batman Begins and Dark Knight were the best ever...because of their seriousness/mature nature. Now...on a side note....my daughter hated them. She said they were too serious. I might concede that to her a bit, but I still enjoyed them alot.

He is not wrecking anything he is appealing to what will keep it alive. And frankly he can do what the hell he wants cause it is his.
    Again I must disagree wth you....he is wrecking it IMOP. Also, the original idea came from Akira Kurosawa if I am not mistaken and it was based on Ninjas. GL took the idea and made it into a space epic. Fine....Same thing happened with "Seven Samurai"....i.e. "The Magnificent Seven" or "Yojimbo" even with "Fist Full of Dollars."

I think ppl are getting away from GL's SW and are going to Expaned Universe more and seeing how amazing it is and then they turn around and see CW and think "well Gl sucks now he cant do anything right" but we have been away from his version of SW (the Original) we forget what SW started out as and is going to be.

Some of the expanded universe I like...some I don't. Didn't care for how Jacen died or that storyline all that much anyway. I still read it. Just thought it could have been alot better. And....I do think GL sucks. He didn't use too..but it seems he is trying to please too many people and forgetting his base. You lose your base then what do you have? I'm not sure...but it doesn't seem like a good thing to do. Lot's of rock bands do something similar. They come out with this cool new sound...then their next or even in some cases next few cd's bite big time......LOL Since this topic is about SW...I won't go into how much I think Disturbed's new CD bites....LOLOL

All the best,
    Melek
    There is no light or dark. This is the true nature of the Force. I stand before you with knowledge and understanding. You stand before me with a lightsaber.

at the end of the day, for me it all comes down to this:
    when you take Star Wars on the hole (OT,PT,EU,etc) there is still more good than bad (even with Jar Jar and gay Hutts) and it's not over yet. GL is making a live action TV series, it could be really good. Heck, it could be real good, we'll see. I like were the Legacy comic series is going, and their are those out there that have considered quitting thier jobs so they can play more Force Unleashed
    So until GL becomes one with the Force, we can't really judge the entire body of work and say it's more good or bad IMO