Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Building a gift for a child - help requested

Here's what I have:

I'll install the electronics this weekend. If you're wondering, the holes near the emitter will house LED holders for 5mm LEDs. I'll cut them down and they can let a bit of the blade's light shine through. A bit of a "bling" for the saber. Overall, not a bad saber, but it was a rush job, and it shows. I will build another like this in the future. I'll call the one you see here a proof of concept.

Oh wow dude, that is really really cool! I love the quigon-ish cutouts in the back, and the way your grip cutouts have varying sizes.

Your nephew should be reeally REALLY pleased with a hilt like this. He is one lucky kid.
    Last edited by gundamaniac; 08-29-2008 at 11:22 PM.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Jon, every time I see your work with a dremel I could swear it was done on a milling machine. Looking good oh dremel-fu master

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Very cool! That's going to be one excited kid!

What exactly did you use for the black grip material? I need something like it for my current project, and I'm having trouble finding the right sized material.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie View Post
    Very cool! That's going to be one excited kid!

What exactly did you use for the black grip material? I need something like it for my current project, and I'm having trouble finding the right sized material.
    The black grip is painted aluminum tubing. 1.375" OD, 1.277" ID. It fits nicely over the sinktube and fits nicely under the 1.43"ID 1.50" OD aluminum tubing for the shroud.

I got it from OnlineMetals.com

Council Member
    Jedi Master

That's what I'll probably have to get. I can't find ABS or PVC of the right size.

Thanks!

Very cool, Jon! I'm sure he's gonna love it!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Here's the final pictures. I think it turned out nice. Especially since it took me about a week to build from start to finish. I pulled a couple of all-nighters this weekend to get it wrapped up, but it is done and I think my nephew will like it.

Final specifications:

Lux III Blue (bin 1)

MR Obi-Wan ROTS soundboard (direct driving LED)

4AAA battery holder

Premium speaker

12.25" long from tip to tip

32" thin-walled polycarbonate blade with a quadruple wrap of Corbin/TCSS film

Holy Hannah... That's a really lovely piece of work. Especially for such a short time planning and building.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.