Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Building a gift for a child - help requested

As I said, try Novastar's little trick. You want to put some raised rubber sections so that when the hilt falls on a flat surface, the only thing that could possibly be touching the floor is rubber (hence putting rubber at the emitter/on the blade, as well as putting rubber on the pommel). That way it helps absorb shock, and in the event of dropping or throwing the saber around it won't take very much damage (especially compared to an unrubbered up saber. Remember kids, use protection! )

If you do that, I don't really see why the Obi-Wan style hilt wouldn't be a good hilt for your nephew. Just, like I said, remember to use screws to hold the metal pieces together and not just glue/epoxy!

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

this was my first saber built a while back...

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...4&postcount=12

fairly cheap to build since it was plumbing stuff..

only needed a 1.25 blade holder..and your good to go. (with a little honing)

but I think you cant go wrong with do a Jay-Gon style hilt for sure... beauty & simple at the same time.
    Last edited by xl97; 08-20-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Hey, Jon, you do have a lathe, don't you? I've seen those type of grip marks done on one before, and I'll bet it'd be a lot easier than trying to get a tubing cutter to track straight enough, too. (I still have trouble getting mine to do it every time, but I'm getting better at it!)

I have to admit, though, that I'd love to try one of those Obi-wan's myself!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Hey Jon, the Jay Gonn sink tube style is also durable. (and look rel. nice) they are strong enough for me to beat on my bro-in-law with.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I listened to my voice in my head and went all kinds of Dremel-Fu for the saber. I gotta play to my strong suit, right? I'm goign with a design borrowing elements from my own Pariah brass saber and Gundamaniac's sweet aluminum saber. It's rough and needs some work, and I need a fresh perspective for ideas.

That's a rough idea of what I got done last night. It's 3 layers of tubing (sinktube and two layers of aluminum tubing). It's kind of blah right now. What do you suggest I do to modify the design? Keep in mind I am out of aluminum, so I have to work with what I've got. Would you change the shape of some boring pieces? Maybe shorten some and fill gaps with o-rings?

I'm open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Jonitus; 08-26-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Messed up linking the picture to the post.

Hey Jonitus, check your p.m.,

Kal El Rah
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El Rah View Post
    Hey Jonitus, check your p.m.,

Kal El Rah
    Got your PM. The saber has to have sound, so no Ultrasabers stunts for me. Thanks for looking out for me, though!

You are welcome, it was as stated just a suggestion, you may also want to go with a Joe-Jedi kit if you can find 1 somewhere.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

A Joe Jedi board would be a good Idea, then he can swap between goodie and baddie colors

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus View Post
    I listened to my voice in my head and went all kinds of Dremel-Fu for the saber. I gotta play to my strong suit, right? I'm goign with a design borrowing elements from my own Pariah brass saber and Gundamaniac's sweet aluminum saber. It's rough and needs some work, and I need a fresh perspective for ideas.

That's a rough idea of what I got done last night. It's 3 layers of tubing (sinktube and two layers of aluminum tubing). It's kind of blah right now. What do you suggest I do to modify the design? Keep in mind I am out of aluminum, so I have to work with what I've got. Would you change the shape of some boring pieces? Maybe shorten some and fill gaps with o-rings?

I'm open to suggestions.
    You shouldn't need nearly as much Dremel-Fu for this hilt as what you usually do. This should be a walk in the park for you, oh mighty Dremel Master =)

What's your base? If you're using a 1.25" sinktube as a base, you can do the cutouts with a 1.5" sinktube and forgo the aluminum tubing =D. I only did mine out of aluminum cuz I wanted to avoid the brass/copper edges inevitable to every cut made to a sinktube. And if you use a 1.25" and 1.5" sinktube combo, you can put o-rings for grips in the big grippy cutout =D.

This should be a neat saber (I'm sure I'm very biased, for obvious reasons ). I do like how this is more TPM Obi-Wan-ish in terms of the large grip cutout section. Show us progress pics; I've always been a fan of your sinktube hilts!
    Last edited by gundamaniac; 08-26-2008 at 01:28 PM.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!