Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1.25 Sink tube Blade holder. Yet Again!!!

Default 1.25 Sink tube Blade holder. Yet Again!!!

Hopefully someone can answer a small question for me.
    Is the 1.25 Sink tube blade holder predrilled and tapped for the blade retention screw ?
    I am probarly being stupid but I just needed to be sure before I ordered one.

Thanks.

It actually is, although depending on your needs, you may drill a secondary one of larger OD, or drill over it or whatever you like.

But YES--that blade holder is ready to go from the moment it appears at your doorstep. I can never say enough about that part... it's just WAAAAAYY worth $25 or whatever the heck it is for it.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thank you.

Default holder

I got the 1.25 Sink tube blade holder and it looks nice. I just cut the threads off of a 1.25" sink tube but it looks like the sizes are too close. I think I have to grind something down. Do I grind down the sink tube or the holder?

You have to use a 1.25" sink tube that's the same gauge as the one Tim sells in the shop. I believe it's 22 gauge, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maverick

I can partially correct you...

Grinding/sanding down the OD of the TCSS part is perfectly fine. There won't be much to do to it.

Grinding/sanding down the ID of the sink tube is unwise since it's already pretty thin... and although it probably wouldn't hurt, it's better to take down the thicker part.

It is indeed true that there is no way Tim could "vouch" for EVERY solitary 1.25" tube on the planet. They all have differing variances, and so even when things are off by 0.01"... that is enough to prevent a good fit at times.

You do not want to force it.
    You do not want it to be loose either though...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Default ok

ok great. I am pretty sure that the difference is small enough for me to heavily polish it to make it fit.

Yup! Besides... you only need sand/grind/polish the portion that will be going into your sinktube. If you plan on having some stick out... that's actually good, since it will provide extra "fit" support, essentially having an almost invisible "lip".

Personally--I use the blade holder *AS* the emitter/choke point usually. Plus, it's fun feeling the thing get warm to the touch if you have your saber on constantly for more than 5-10 minutes with no "offs".

Default design

I'll get it in but I am debating on keeping it flat, having it stick out slightly, or cutting a 45 degree shroud for it. The 45 degree shroud seems to work well with the larger 1.5 tube. I do have a small 3 green led segmented bar graph (salvaged from an ethernet card) and rubber door gasket that I can use for grips. I do like the truck bedliner idea too. So, still lots to think about with this one. Will a crystal focus fit in a 1.25 tube?

Yup!

Brian's hilt is proof of that (Gundamaniac).
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2z7xZh6BDAk

Actually... *whacks himself in the head*... mine are too! DUH.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2iaDEhfd4yo