Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Saber Sound Project

Blog Entries

Default Power regulator

I think this is a great idea. I doubt it would ever take the place of existing comercial boards made by erv and such but for the more daring hobbyist this would be fun.

OK to start we need Power Regulation to control current and voltage. I suggest the LA3405A IC. Here is the Datasheet.

Check out Figure 14 on page 13. Example of using it to power Lux K2 white.

For Sensors we can use the ADXL202E IC. The Datasheet is here. It is a dual-axis accelerometer which can detect motion, tilt and impact.

I am working on finding an IC for sound but I am thinking maybe an MP3 chip....
    -------------------------------------------

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas A. Edison

Just to re-cap keep it clean:

Proposed Parts List:

Power Regulator: LA3405A IC (3v-22v range)
    http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM3405A.pdf

Motion/Tilt/Impact Sensor: ADXL202E IC
    http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/ADXL/ADXL202E_a.pdf
    Last edited by xl97; 08-18-2008 at 09:41 AM.

new post to 'talk'

the sound chip(s) you are lookng for? difference? MP3 would probably be easier fo rmany to deal with? no conversions or anything I assume?

Does that regulator drive a LED @ 1A forward current? Is that 'enough' for all applications?
    Last edited by xl97; 08-18-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    new post to 'talk'

the sound chip(s) you are lookng for? difference? MP3 would probably be easier fo rmany to deal with? no conversions or anything I assume?

Does that regulator drive a LED @ 1A forward current? Is that 'enough' for all applications?
    I could not find a 1.5A driver but I've only been looking for an hour. Given enough time I am sure I or someone else will find one. I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

For sound I am still looking, but I have seen in the past MP3 decoder IC that can handle MP3, PCM and WAV files.

I think the real challenge will be finding a suitable Microcontroller that will unify all the components into something usable.

as for keeping it "clean" I feel it is important to give a quick description on why the recommended component would be useful for this project. just saying "buy part number XYZ1234ABC" and giving a link to a datasheet is not as useful as me saying "look at page 13 on how to build buck puck for a K2 white."

I agree... I was just summarizing the parts.. and didnt mean for you not to elaborate..

I'll just be updating my post with part numbers as they 'come'...

and I was just trying to clarify (as Im an electronics 'tard) that it was in fact only a 1A driver..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    I'll just be updating my post with part numbers as they 'come'...
    and as the parts list grows this will become a very important role .

Audio decoder chip - VLSI VS1011E - package version SOIC-28: datasheet here.
    It can decode and play MP3. PCM and WAV. It needs a microcontroller and external memory (SD card) to work.

Thinking out loud here:

Why not have the actual LED driver as a modular unit? With the P7 on the market now, we're seeing need for more and more forward current. Pity to design a board that would integrate a driver that would not satisfy the needs as they are bing met.

Sure, it's almost going backwards. Erv's first board was actually two...LED and THEN sound. What's so bad about that? I could see it very useful to have a dedicated soundboard and a separate LED driver board. Yes, it's more solder connections, yes it's more of a hassle to install, but more of a potential userbase could be covered by doing it in two separate components and we wouldn't be dealing with obsolete components nearly as fast.

That's not a bad idea. Since these would be chunky hand-soldered bread boards, that would likely make it easier to fit them in the hilt anyway.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

not comign froma technical view point..but Im not opposed to a piggy backed board of some kind...

could maybe even be used individually? like a sound board with a direct/puck'ed drive?

See, I think that would be a good implementation. The sound board would NOT have a driver, but if a person wanted to use the driver by itself with no sound capability, they could do that.