Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Saber Sound Project

Lightbulb Open Saber Sound Project

I don't post much on forums. I feel I don't have much to contribute. However, I have been reading the forums for months and I believe I have an idea which may be of interest to people. May I present, the "Open Saber Sound Project".

What is the "Open Saber Sound Project"?
    For those of you familiar with the Linux operating system, I was thinking something similar to that. I purpose a project to design and program a sound board as a community, posting the schematics and firmware free for anyone to use.

Advantages

Obviously, this project would have all the advantages of other "Open" projects. A group of people all with their own specific skill set working on the same project. I am sure some of us are good programmers, and others may be good at designing circuits. Other people may be great at testing, and trying every configuration to find bugs. With the many talented people we have on the forums, we could have one hell of a sound board.

Hardware customization. Right now, one of the common complaints with the other sound systems is the lengthy configuration process. With an system where you are building the board from the schematic, configuration could be done in hardware. Why build it to handle 1500mA if you are only ever intending to use a LuxV?

Price. The schematics are free! Anyone can use them and build one.

Availability. The Schematics would be available 24/7 (online). No more waiting around for boards to come back into stock. One would simply need to purchase the parts and assemble.

Cutting Edge Technology. Since the schematics are there, the option to fork the design (similar to what Erv' does) and redesign parts for custom projects or new technology testing is there. For example, if somebody had the urge, one could redesign (or request from the community to redesign) the LED driver to handle the RGB tri-rebel in order to test it. This would allow for the project to remain very up to date with current technology (My hat goes off to Erv' for the CF, and his work on keeping it up to date). Custom designs are possible, A driver for LED strings perhaps? or sound mixing for background battle music?

A word on competition. I understand that many may think I am purposing a project that would be in competition with the other saber sound products (CF, Ultrasound, etc.). This is not the case, I doubt very highly that this project will ever be able to rival the Crystal focus (I have one and love it). If somebody wants a CF, they will buy a CF, end of story. The idea of soldering together a board will not turn everyone on, and those people will of course continue to seek conventional methods of saber sound. The Open Saber Sound Project is geared towards people who want to experiment with customized sound boards or for those not willing to wait for other options to come into stock.

I know this doesn't really explain everything. But hopefully it gives people a rough idea of what I am thinking. I would welcome questions. What do people think? Has this been tried before? Is anyone interested in contributing? Are people interested in building their own sound boards?

Thanks for reading
    Clockwork

This I like!

You may even want to sign up with Sourceforge for a site so that you can store the programming side of things with them and keep a website too.
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

Me: if you start spitting nickles I'm coming over with a bucket!

but who is the question?

most of the people who have this type of knowlede, would/could do it mostly by themselves no?

who can design the board layout and post it for free?

who knows what parts need to be put together?

and who can program it?

not trying to be a 'hater' by any means..but all of this takes time, which most people like to be compensated for.

it would be great if people donated like however...

I mean I wouldnt even know what parts would be need, much less be able to design the board layout....and programming.. lol..forget about it.. I dont even knwo what language they use.. C? C++? assembly even? LOL

ot trying to be a 'hater' by any means..but all of this takes time, which most people like to be compensated for.
    Sometimes the best compensation is the satisfaction of knowing you made other people happy

I hear yah though. People who are willing to contribute would, lets put it that way. Plenty of people around on these forums and otherwise who I'm sure would be willing to contribute. That way when someone wants a sound board (hell even a LED driver) they would know that they can buy one prefabricated or build their own if they are up to it. Sort of the same thing with building a lightsaber right? Some people knew how to do it well and made a profit, and others said yeah I can make a profit but lets show the rest of the world how its done, and thus a new hobby was born!
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

I don't know anything about board design, but I can solder my ass off and I learn FAST! So I'm up for it, I'll try anything as long as someone gives me the instructions!

In all seriousness I like this idea alot, I'm all about free trade and information sharing. This would be really awesome if people grabbed it and just ran with it. Wish I had the knowledge I'd be all over this.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeQuadFive View Post
    Sometimes the best compensation is the satisfaction of knowing you made other people happy

I hear yah though. People who are willing to contribute would, lets put it that way. Plenty of people around on these forums and otherwise who I'm sure would be willing to contribute. That way when someone wants a sound board (hell even a LED driver) they would know that they can buy one prefabricated or build their own if they are up to it. Sort of the same thing with building a lightsaber right? Some people knew how to do it well and made a profit, and others said yeah I can make a profit but lets show the rest of the world how its done, and thus a new hobby was born!
    Im full aware of what OPEN SOURCE means.. and how it works.. however. There has been a HUGE gap in the sound board scene for MANY A MOON.

Id think the first thing would be a design? and does that 1 design work for everyone?

what about a parts list even?

I whole heartedly support Open Source projects, but a hardware-based one could be a lot more tricky to contend with than software.

The most pressing issue in this is what has already been mentioned. How would online parts lists and a circuit diagram be of use to a hobbyist not trained in electronics? I can sorta read electronics schematics, but I have little confidence that I could create a full board from parts that wasn't pre-printed with circuits. We'd have to solder wires between all the components, and such a board would be likely too large to fit in a standard hilt.
    These issues (and others I haven't thought of) would have to be figured out before a project could really get off the ground.

Plus, I really don't think it would be good for the hobby to have a free board replace the existing for sale boards being developed. I'd like to see a free project (schematic, parts list and instructions) replace the need to get a Hasbro saber to have a basic saber with sounds. But leave the boards made by Erv and Ultra as they are for a more feature-rich option for enthusiasts who want to high-end in all options.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Thats the beauty of Open Source.

A general or reccomended hardware setup and parts list could be used, but as people grow to understand how it all works, they can substitute the guts as needed to suit their own.

What usually ends up happening first is a nice brain storming session. Probably in this case discussing the pro's and cons of the existing sound boards now, including hardware dimensions and the parts list per each, and then creating a 'wish list' which becomes a feature list, which then shapes the initial design and guts.

I think thats too much.. IMHO..

I would think is straight barebones would be the best approach

LED driver
    limited sound banks (like 2)
    up/down idle hum
    motion swing and clash

however.. the parts are still a 'mystery' to many of use...

I dont know what sensors are needed for for motion/impact

I mean I think if it was 'easy' or approachable...people would have posted this type fo info before....no?

how about everyone post what parts THEY KNOW would be needed? outside of a board design to make it all fit nice... you could start there.. and get a rough COST for the parts..

maybe buying single/individual pieces makes it not a worthwhile project?

I mean I think if it was 'easy' or approachable...people would have posted this type fo info before....no?
    Not always Topics like these may scare some people

But I do agree with the simplicity approach as a start. As you said, it should at a minimum, incorporate the LED driver, a limited set of sound banks, the up/down idle hum, and motion swing + clash. From there it could evolve into bigger and better and get improved.