Thread: Ribbed v cut extension question

Default Ribbed v cut extension question

I realized yesterday there may be a flaw in the design I was planning on going with. Will a 4AAA battery pack and MR sound board be able to fit inside the v cut ribbed extension piece? I realize it's probably skinnier on the inside than the standard hilt pieces. >_<

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

The 4aaa will just barely fit inside the ribbed sections. You wouldnt be able to stack the sound module on it but you could put it after or before it.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I was wondering that myself. The internal diameter of the MHS parts, particularly the ribbed parts and the choke pieces would be useful to have in the design process before ordering.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

The internal dimensions of various parts have been mentioned on various threads but it seems an obvious common enough question that it might be useful, especially for new folks, to have a *sticky* on internal parts dimensions in one place???

I just built my first saber using the MHS parts and I'm diggin how it turned out.

I put the 4AAA battery holder inside the extension with the speaker at the bottom next to the pommel piece (with the end cover that has slots for sound to come out). It fit nicely, but there is definitely no room for anything else in there. I kept the sound board from one of those "Joe Jedi" kits inside it's housing (albiet cut down quite a bit) and that and the switch, resistor and wiring took up most of the main piece. I love the choke point and how it holds the LED heat sink in place for the blade holder piece. Makes it quite easy to change the blade color (using the white Seule LED and the colored discs).

All in all...I'm happy with this as my first (although I hope to get hold of a decent DPDT push ON/Push ON switch to replace the toggle I have now...or even a DP Push ON/Push OFF switch that will fit the standard mounting holes).

Thanks guys. I am trying to have the design pretty much planned out before I actually order anything. I don't want to get parts and have the guts not fit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amichaels View Post
    Thanks guys. I am trying to have the design pretty much planned out before I actually order anything. I don't want to get parts and have the guts not fit.
    Hi Amichaels,
    in case you still need it...
    ID of the v cut ribbed extension is 1.125 inch.

Depth of the tube with LED holder/heatsink in place is about 3.25 inch

How I make sure all the parts will fit before I purchase is by making a mockup of the internal parts using balsa, cardboard or popsicle sticks.
    Here is my current project...

(Sorry for the paper wrap, I am not ready to reveal it yet.)

In the picture is representative of 4xAAA NiMH pack, 2xAAA NiMH pack, and sound card.

I then account for other factors like wires and wrapping. Then I cram all the fake internals into my hilt for test fit. That way I am sure parts will work before I order it.

Of course this only works if you already have the MHS pieces on hand (which I do).

Cheers,
    V.
    -------------------------------------------

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas A. Edison

Well, I've been doing a lot of sketching and math to make sure everything is going to fit, and I believe now with those measurements they should. The hilts I'm going to be making are 10 to 12" in length to accommodate all the internals and a fair sized sound chamber. For my husbands though I was planning on fitting two of the ribbed extensions together as the main part of the hilt so that I can make a neat shroud to go over the top. Thus the need to know whether or not the sound card would be able to slide in or not.