Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Xwing's off-board time

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Xwing's off-board time

Yeah, no snide remarks.[] Despite the ever climbing post count I am working on one of the most work intensive majors, Architecture. I just got done with final presentations today. They went so well.

Anyways, I thought I'd share... You may not "get" this but it's [8D] none the less. I'd explain if anyone's interested. Some of these are process shots too.[:0] Meaning they're better ones on the way.[]

Inside:

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Intriguing. Please explain, I am always fasinated about learning new things.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Me Too, I took 4 years of drafting in High School including I year of Architecture, some where I should still have the blueprint of the House I desigined.[]

May the Force
    Be with You

Marc E.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, I took some years of drafting in High School, but it in no way prepared me for the types of things they have us do. I have a leg up in the drafting aspect like programs like CAD and Photoshop and of course hand drawings but the design is like nothing else.

I'll get what it's made out of first since that's easy.[] The roof is made out of styrofoam spackled to look like plaster. It's a pain, it takes a half dozen coats and sanding until you're covered in dust. The ground and in between is all Plexiglass, aka acrylic, in different forms (mirrored, frosted, sanded, plain). That's how I got my weld-on skillz.[]

The actual project is called the "Plenum" project. The plenum being the space we create that is supposed to be rich, "a full void" to quote my professor. The whole premise of it was to develop the relationship between the ground and roof, and more importantly what happens in between with the space. So if you think about that light is a HUGE role in the project. We look at it as that should we place a human scale in there all the space isn't occupyable and only light can "occupy" it.

Now this part may sound crackpot, but in my class we investigated this through butterflies. Gainesville has the second largest butterfly collection and museum in the world. We used the behavior and life of a butterfly to inform or spaces too.

Now the sum of all this design is it creates (again to quote my prof) "some bloody amazing things." I'll be taking more better pictures because outdoors the light reflected does some AMAZING things. It lights up the inside and outside in ways that are beautiful (the inside shots show that but that was my first pass at the mirrored surfaces). There was one plain my prof showed this on by putting her hand behind it. She said, "The backlighting makes it look bloody transparent," even though it was frosted plexi.

There's a mini overview of what the project was about.[]

<center>

Xwing do have time for a life???? Your project looks interesting, nice job on the model construction. I have done some of these types of projects but it has been a few years. By the way need some plans for a custom house from the seventies????

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Depends on how you define "having a life."[] No, I can't go out everynight or do things with my friends all the time because my school work comes first, but I don't think I'm losing anything. It just makes those times all the more sweet because they don't happen everyday.

Moral though: I'm got getting enough saber time.[]

Thanks for the interest and compliments. Those are just some quick shots of the final model, and there is tons of other things along the way and pictures I've yet to take.

<center>

Xwing, I know the school load that have and along with everything that you do here on this forum, I know that you can not have much free time. You are doing a great job though, hang in there.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

The plenum being the space we create that is supposed to be rich, "a full void" to quote my professor. The whole premise of it was to develop the relationship between the ground and roof, and more importantly what happens in between with the space. So if you think about that light is a HUGE role in the project. We look at it as that should we place a human scale in there all the space isn't occupyable and only light can "occupy" it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Deep. Man, one of my old roommates in college was an Ark major; 'nuff respect, brother. All I know is that it takes guts to commit to a major that requires the classrooms to have showering facilities. (I went to Florida A & M Univ.; a fairly strong Architecture program, from what I've heard tell.)

You don't need to see any identification.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, it a life of its own. Many only understand it because they see the light of the architecture studio constantly on. There is a culture of the studio. It's destinctly different from any other major because you spend hours working with these people. In many other majors you can't indentify all of the other people in your major.

I can without a doubt say it makes very enriched people. Without being too specific in any field we combine so many things. It is just as common for us to build models as it is to walk around with a sketchbook in an art gallery. My professor is an amazing dynamic person that can discuss any subject. Even though I loath the work load being in presentations and hear my prof say "It looks bloody transperent" was so satisfying. I'm hoping my model will make it into the gallery exibition after break.[]

<center>

Nice! I hope all of your hard work pays off! []Especially, if you've taken out any school loans![] It will! []