Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: *Attention Machinists!!!*

Force Aware
    Force Aware

Lightbulb

EDIT: I feel bad now, it will make for a cool looking saber, and at least your trying something outside the box, mines all off the shelf parts so my hat is off to you and good luck
    Last edited by JudgeKane; 08-15-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    Judge them from the Darkness...

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilhelmet View Post
    you might get "The Talk" if yer mom finds this in your nightstand drawer.
    Thank goodness Lucas stuck with the Graflex idea when doing the original Star Wars.

Obi-Wan: "Your father wanted you to have this...when you were old enough..."

*Seconds later, half the audience leaves in disgust and bewilderment*

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think we get the idea by now. Many would argue all lightsabers are phallic symbols... *rolls eyes*
    RED LEADER Standing by!

But I've not even got to the Wookiee-stroking joke yet

Sorry, I'll shut up now

Honestly, I don't see where there was ever cause to make all the penis jokes about the lightsaber. Sorry, don't see it. Maybe it's because I actually have ***...with someone other than myself...regularly...but lightsabers don't look like phallus to me.

The maturity of the forum hit an all-time low with this thread.

I know I made a comment about it in an earlier post, but this really has got out of hand.

I told my buddy to post this concept up here because I thought that if there was any group of people who could get this made into reality it would be the members of this forum. I know I've learned alot in a really short amount of time and it's all thanks to the wealth of knowledge here. IMO it really sucks that my good friends first experience with the forum is having his design ridiculed and even though there were compliments given, there were far more jokes made.

I could see if this was in the Misc. thread, but I mean the title of the thread is ATTENTION MACHINISTS so lets get back on topic and see if there is any constructive criticism that can be offered to help make this real.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Default strong

Palpatine: "I know you would." [closes eyes] "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger."

are you going to machine the whole piece? It looks like the center section could be done with 3 sink tubes, a couple of gold knobs, a red rocker switch, polywashers or vinyl for the inside grip, and some sort of glass eye. The pommel and shroud would then have to be machined because they are oblique.

I'm thinking that some creative Dremel work on the outer two layers of shrouds could give essentially the look of the saber with a minimum of machining required.

I don't think this is a ridiculous design at all but rather an innovative one. Yes at first glance an obvious joke can be made but I'm sure that H.R. Giger got the same kind of jokes in 79 when people first saw the "Alien" head...and Giger is a great artist...so your friend is in good company taking a more 'organic [no pun intended] approach to saber design...who says sabers all have to have sharply defined geometric shapes anyway?

Yes the ones we see most onscreen tend to be round cylinders with angular accents and greebles but most of those are human sabers and human ships and other technology in SW are mostly angular too.

But look at "Home One" and the other Mon Calamari cruisers...those are all about rounded and flowing lines...obviously reflecting a different far more organic Calamari aesthetic than that of the humanocentric Empire.

I look at this saber and think it looks a lot like something a Calamari Jedi might carry...and to him/her the overtones that we humans see at first glance might not even register in mind.

Its a beautiful and original design and that is to be applauded not ridiculed imo...I hope you can find a way to make it reality.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 08-14-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Red face

OK, I think I'm the one who started the jokes, It was not my intent to make fun of you though. I was really just trying to find a PG way of saying what I saw, and keep it light. I thought it would be worse for you to build it then have someone say what I did. However, I did mean it when I said I thought it was a cool saber.

I apologize for what I said and for were things went. We shouldn't make fun of you.

I'm sorry.