Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: el wire

I have ordered the 3/4 inch polyc tubing but it looks small to me can you make a blade using a 1" tubing?

You'll need more wire, and as said before, a larger inverter that wouldn't fit in the hilt.

Those who see the light at the end of the tunnel, need to stop staring at the sun.

well I have 20 feet of el wire that would not be enough to get a good brightness?, or would it be better to make a led saber using the 1" tubing?, has anyone made a 1" el blade before?, if so any help would be appreciated.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

20 feet isn't enough to even get another strand in the tube if you're doing a 40" EL blade. If you shorten the blade it would be possible. Say 7 strands at 33" (MR blade length) you'd have 9" left over to use for connections. I'm not sure how well that would fit, but I think 9 (you must have an odd number) at almost double of a 3/4" blade would be too much. 3 more feet isn't that much more but I'd run it at 12V for sure to make it a decent brightness.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

well what if I was able to get a 1" tube with a higher thickness so that I still use the same size polyethelene tubeing for the diffuser?, does anyone have any ideas where I can find something like that because I checked on www.usplastics.com and they don't have the right size, my father brought home a piece of polycarbonate from his job that was the perfect ID and OD but it was only like two feet long, it is used for mailing stuff he said and that he could only get it in that size which makes me wonder if other places sell different sizes.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, there are places where you can get tons of different sizes of PolyC, but it's disrespectful to ask about them when Tim sells a perfetly good one.

Getting a higher thickness really wouldn't help that much anyway. The diffuser is what marks the limits of the blade. A 3/4" diffuser looks the same whether you have a thicker CLEAR tube on it or not. If you must insist on getting other PolyC contact someone off board or do some more searching.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

If you use a 1"od 1/2"id blade..man will that be heavy. I think have seen that size somewhere before. Allot of the time a 3/4"od 1/2"id polyc will fit inside of a 1"od 3/4"id polyc which would give you what you want..but it will still be pretty heavy.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

thanks for the info I saw the size polyc tube you offer I just thought if maybe it was thicker in the wall then you could still use the same size difuser for it and not worry about using mor el wire, but, really? this will make it a little heavy?

Here's one for you to chew on, Strydur. Seven strands of your EL wire will fit snugly inside the mono plug housing, yes? How about soldering seven one-way strands and having them all lead out just the one way? I'm working on something unique here... Also, any idea what seven EL wires (around 33/36" long, all) would do to the power draw on the inverter and/or battery?

What is life but the passage to death?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I have done seperate strands before..what a pain to solder. The inveter should power 7 fine as long as you dont make a 48" blade or something lol

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop