Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: el wire

so the kit to make an EL blade comes with 17' of EL wire. would it be pretty much the same to use 10 ft. of 5mm wire instead?

the 5 mm wire is probably too thick to work. it wouldn't crimp enough or leave room for enough strands to look good. I've used it before in other projects, and it just isn't that much brighter than the 2.5.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

The 5mm just has a thicker outer covering. It does not bend as well and you would be lucky to get 2 strands where 5 strands of the 2.5 would fit.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

i used 5mm in my first blade because i misunderstood jedi loreen's tutorial. it sucks. you can get one strand in, no more. you can get another strand in, but it will only go in about 10 inches. stick with 2.5mm, you will end up with a much brighter blade.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

thanks for the input guys. I guess this means I'll be using the 2.5 wire.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jezzail

thanks for the input guys. I guess this means I'll be using the 2.5 wire.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hopefully wire bought from Tim. [] All that 5mm talk makes it seem like you were thinking of buying elsewhere.[V]

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

guess he could try it in a 1 inch blade and make the reducer for the mono jack plug. lol

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by suit_man

i used 5mm in my first blade because i misunderstood jedi loreen's tutorial. it sucks. you can get one strand in, no more. you can get another strand in, but it will only go in about 10 inches. stick with 2.5mm, you will end up with a much brighter blade.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font size="3"><font color="purple">You misunderstood my tutorial? Did I write something confusing in it about the diameter of the EL wire?</font id="purple"></font id="size3"> [V]

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

hey, jedi loreen, nice to see you posting again, havent heard from you in awhile. things ok on your end?

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...