Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Speeder bike blinker?

yep, i know I'm excited. We have the reigning king of making new sabers into old sabers, I'm really interested to see what he can do with a pile of junk!
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Is this how all the characters built their sabers? Just extra parts from things? I'm only beginning to delve into the expanded universe and was going to start a thread on how real sabers are built. I know they get crystals from Ilum and whatnot but I'd like to know how they make their hilts. Are they just like some of us and buy parts from a supplier who gives us a place to show them off and discuss them or do they all scavenge spare parts from various places ans put em together? Some look really nice and well thought out (which I know is because supposedly they are just movie props) but do they have a story behind them?
    Alderaan shot first.

I'd expect their sabers to be similar to ours actually. Some probably use scavenged parts or parts that have meaning for them (ie, Rancor's tooth?). Others probably custom machine their own (which I'm expecting is how the Prequel sabers were made) or order some custom parts from a machinist (I'd expect there to be some small-time machine shops even in the SW universe). Of course, there's probably some who use a mix...

So honestly, I think as far as hilt making goes, that what they have to go through is not that much different from what we hobbyists go through.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I get the feeling that it's the connection with one's saber that makes them unique. The process that Corran used focused on the bonding of the components on an almost molecular level - so that the outside (hilt) was rather superficial... not important, but what was inside was important - haven't heard that since grade school

Same went with Caedus' saber: the components were assembled first, the insides were finished, all he needed was the so-called "shell"...

I like this idea... but more than a little because it helps take away the -factor, when I think about the geonosis arena... whare everyone had the same four or five hilts... maybe that's why so many jedi died there: they had to pass the lightsabers around

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    I get the feeling that it's the connection with one's saber that makes them unique. The process that Corran used focused on the bonding of the components on an almost molecular level - so that the outside (hilt) was rather superficial... not important, but what was inside was important - haven't heard that since grade school

Same went with Caedus' saber: the components were assembled first, the insides were finished, all he needed was the so-called "shell"...

I like this idea... but more than a little because it helps take away the -factor, when I think about the geonosis arena... whare everyone had the same four or five hilts... maybe that's why so many jedi died there: they had to pass the lightsabers around

Again this is where my modern moviemaking theory comes in. Studios are so preoccupied with special effects they skimp on the real aspects of the film like physical props. For the geonosis scene they just mass produced, like you said, 4 or 5 hilts (probably just the 4 or 5 different ones that would be most in the foreground) rather than taking the time that lucas probably would have taken in 1975-77 to make each jedi's saber unique.

On a side note, you guys n gals should read the making of "A new hope" that chronicles everything Lucas did from like 73 til after the film came out.
    Alderaan shot first.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Progress pic...

Yes, this is just another excuse to use a large piece of MHS that I just can't get enough of... but at the same time, it actually is rather appropriate for this concept.

These are just WIP pics, but as of right now, I'm planning on using either a cF and 2x Li-Ion 14500s or an MR Luke board and 4x AAA pack. I would like to add a twisting-action switch to the lower half of the hilt... but I don't have a good way to do that yet.... It'll have a white k2 and one yellow accent LED.

anyway, here's what I got so far...

eastern57

Default break

break away lightsaber speeder bike hand grips...that is a great idea? Did you affiex the control box to the hilt yet?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by swear000 View Post
    break away lightsaber speeder bike hand grips...that is a great idea? Did you affiex the control box to the hilt yet?
    I don't understand what you're saying. The box is screwed on, can be taken off easily.

Ohh my god...that is absolutely beautiful. I love it. Especially the smooth lower black grip and the pommel section. Great work.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!