Thread: Viridian EL blade?

Question Viridian EL blade?

Is it possible to mix and match different colored EL wires to make a viridian blade.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

No, it doesn't work. You'll just end up seeing different colored spots of whatever color wire is pressing against the diffuser. It doesn't matter if you try to twist the wires together evenly, or braid it, I've tried it in the past.

Also, some colors, like lime, are brighter than others, and would just over power the dimmer colors.

The green EL wire is actually more of a teal color. I haven't seen how bright the high brightness green is with one of Tim's 4 Khz inverters, but I know the regular bightness with just a 2 Khz inverter wasn't the brightest of the colors. I used to build EL blades 5 years ago, before this wonderful store existed.

EL is now considered "old" technology for lightsabers. If you want a bright blade, you're probably better off trying to find a cyan LED that's has a BIN # that is more toward the green side.

According to the dictionary, "viridian" is a bluish green. There's no way to get a "silvery green" with EL wire.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 07-21-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    The green EL wire is actually more of a teal color. I haven't seen how bright the high brightness green is with one of Tim's 4 Khz inverters, but I know the regular bightness with just a 2 Khz inverter wasn't the brightest of the colors. I used to build EL blades 5 years ago, before this wonderful store existed.

it is a nice color and very bright for an EL blade with the 4 kHz inverter. If you want a pix just let me know.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I would like to see that. Can you post pics here in this thread?
    TCSS MODERATOR

Council Member
    Sith Lord

No prob, I'll take some this evening
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I would like to see that. Can you post pics here in this thread?
    These pix don't have great detail of the sabers, but they are meant to show a color comparison, so...

Here they are, first is a parks green in a 2kHz inverter Parks Obi wan on top and the TCSS green in the same saber below

next is a 4khz custom saber w TCSS green on top and the parks el film blade on bottom

3rd is a comparo btwn the 2khz parks and the 4 khz custom

finally has the parks blade with the 4 kHz vs the TCSS blade in the obi tpm

BTW, the tcss blade looks as bright as the parks to the naked eye, but it does not show up as well in the pix by my shi#$y camera! I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Lord Dottore Matto; 07-26-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks.

It looks almost cyan next to a green blade. If you'd shown it next to a blue blade it would look more green.

I'm sure it's considerably brighter than the one I made several years ago, before there was any high brightness EL wire. And I was running it off a 2Khz inverter, as well.
    TCSS MODERATOR