Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plastic dye for polyc blades ?

Default Plastic dye for polyc blades ?

I had an idea and was wondering if anybody else has tried and failed or just plain knows it cant be done with polycarbonate ? I was thinking ( HOPE is more correct) that if you could dye a blade say blue and have a white led that maybe you could get a little closer to movie blades in terms of a white core or at least a lighter core with a colored or tinted outline outline.

From what I've read, polycarbonate has a tendency to resist tinting (which might be why it is expensive to get tinted polyc lenses for one's glasses). I could be wrong, though- that's just what I've heard.

Corbin had an idea earlier, I believe, that involves 2 tubes and a colored semitransparent torus for generating the illusion of a white core. You've basically got this colored disk with a hole in it in front of a white led. The colored light illuminates a larger outer tube, while the plain white light illuminates a smaller inner tube. I don't know how well this works.
    Ore no kono te ga makka ni moeru!
    Shouri wo tsukameto todoroki sakebu!
    BaaaaAAAAKUNETSU!
    GOOOOODUUU FINGAAAAAAAAAA!

It could be possible, perhaps sand blasting the blade may help with the dye.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Default Acrylic

What about colored acrylic inside poly-c?
    I saw these but I don't know any of the specs on them.
    http://polystyrene-hips-rods.com/pig-pipe.htm

Anybody got any more info?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

If those are acrylic they will shatter if you duel. That illustration at the top of the page will give me nightmares for years...
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    If those are acrylic they will shatter if you duel. That illustration at the top of the page will give me nightmares for years...
    I meant using the acrylic inside the poly-c as a diffuser.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

When you duel the poly C bends. That would mean the diffuser has to bend as well. It'd really be no different than having the acrylic as the entire blade.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    When you duel the poly C bends. That would mean the diffuser has to bend as well. It'd really be no different than having the acrylic as the entire blade.
    I'm guessing that wouldn't be good!

Maul is absolutely right. This is also essentially why blades with electronics inside (or complicated yet delicate structures) have a systemic failure that will be repeated no matter how many times you fix it.

Granted, you COULD use a colored film or... a diffuser type similar to Tim's... but I really don't know how that would be better than doing the diffusion via a Lee Filter at the very source of a white LED (such as the Seoul P4).

Doing things with Lee filter offers so many more possibilities, whereas with a colored blade, you're essentially defeating the purpose of a "color changer" since... you're stuck with that color!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Doing things with Lee filter offers so many more possibilities, whereas with a colored blade, you're essentially defeating the purpose of a "color changer" since... you're stuck with that color!
    Or, you end up with a closet full of different colored blades taking up space. :P

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.