Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lowes hilt durability

like do-clo said, take 2 of the fingers, opposite of each other, and flaten them out with pliers, so they stick straight down. then drill a hole thru each flattened finger, epoxy a not to underside lined up with thehole. and also drill a hole in the main tube where they line up with the prepared fingers. use a small machine screw to fasten it. only thing that might go bad, is the epoxy would break loose and it would be hard to get the cap off then.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Thanks Do-Clo and LAN-ED-TUL, I will give that a shot. I have 1 green saber still to make as a B-Day present for one of my son's friends this weekend. I am going to order a couple caps from Tim for my kids sabers but in the mean time they will be fixed to ya'lls specs by tomorrow afternoon provided the younglings haven't lost their end caps yet[]

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

at least they should hold up til the others come in you order from tim.

To get the end cap to stay on, try this. Flatten out a couple of tines, one on either side (180 degrees apart). Drill small holes through the hilt tube and then into the tine. Now, I used the smallest set screw I could find at Lowes (or Ace Hardware), I matched my bit to the size of the screw. The set screw was pretty tight and in putting in sort of self-tapped the hole and gave a nice tight hold. To keep screws in, I use Loctite. You can get it at GI Joes, Schucks, etc. I used purple (the color delineates what thread size to use it on as well as its sticking power), blue will also work. I prefer this to expoxy on screws because you can break this lose easier and its less permanent (unless you use the red stuff). I have shipped PCs all over the world and the purple stuff held the PC size screws without fault.

"Love this site!"

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ronzomi

To get the end cap to stay on, try this. Flatten out a couple of tines, one on either side (180 degrees apart). Drill small holes through the hilt tube and then into the tine. Now, I used the smallest set screw I could find at Lowes (or Ace Hardware), I matched my bit to the size of the screw. The set screw was pretty tight and in putting in sort of self-tapped the hole and gave a nice tight hold. To keep screws in, I use Loctite. You can get it at GI Joes, Schucks, etc. I used purple (the color delineates what thread size to use it on as well as its sticking power), blue will also work. I prefer this to expoxy on screws because you can break this lose easier and its less permanent (unless you use the red stuff). I have shipped PCs all over the world and the purple stuff held the PC size screws without fault.

"Love this site!"
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

thats pretty much what do-clo and myself said