Thread: EL tape?

Default EL tape?

How do you think a blade will turn out using el tape instead of elwire. I figure, If i put a rod inside the polyC and put the tape around that... without a diffuser shouldnt it be much brighter? or will it just look retarded.

-Dan

Blog Entries

I tried this. Green EL tape, 1/4 inch wooden dowel, 3/4 inch polycarb tube, and a fiber diffuser.

I spiraled the EL tape around the dowel and put it in the blade. It was totally lame. The dark line that runs down the center of the tape totally shows through the diffuser. I tried using heavier diffuser but by the time the line did not show the blade was very dim. I scrapped the whole thing and used wire.

If you get it to work, could you take pictures and explain how?
    Thanks

"I'm no Jedi, I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions."

see i didn't even know there was a dark line that ran down the center, all the pictures do not show this at all. I was just wondering about the tape because i figured i could do without a diffuser then, right? and then it would be much brighter. They sell them by the 4.5ft, i figured 3 of them, i could just run them up the pole vertically and it should be alright, but if theres a dark line in the center....

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

It wouldnt be brighter either. The tape tends to be pretty dim compared to the HB wire.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I just got a broken AOTC Anakin MR FX [], fixed it (broken connections)and surprise, surprise. No LEDs. This saber uses an EL sheet. There is no diffuser, just the EL, about 4 inches wide, rolled. It is true, you can see the line where it overlaps, but only when it's off. Still, it is not as bright as my 2005 Anakin, and the color is a lame pale blue, not the deep blue of the 2005 version. It is, however, brighter than a regular wire blade - of course, no diffuser, no loss. It does look like these EL sheets were custom designed for sabers, so I doubt anyone will find a supplier of such things, unless you find the manufacturer MR used (probably somewhere in China [])
    Just FYI.

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I remember vvisiting the site of the company that made the EL for the AOTC Anakin saber. But I don't remember where it is []
    Besides, they made those for MR. We wouldn'r be able to get them, would we? And according to you they are obsolete in brightness anyway.</font id="Comic Sans MS">