Thread: First hilt sketch: Sapphire Saber (MS Paint ^^)

Default First hilt sketch: Sapphire Saber (MS Paint ^^)

Tell me if this seems ok to you... It's a design based on a favorite weapon of mine from an old FPS called Hexen from the early 90's. It's a Doom engine-based game from the same company.

This is to scale with 40 pixels to an inch.

6/24: Very slightly changed the design and added the side view.

Below is the weapon I based this hilt on:

Any ideas about how I might build something like this? I would really love to have a saber with this hilt! ^^

Cheers!
    Last edited by Vardarac; 04-18-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    Ore no kono te ga makka ni moeru!
    Shouri wo tsukameto todoroki sakebu!
    BaaaaAAAAKUNETSU!
    GOOOOODUUU FINGAAAAAAAAAA!

oh s*** hexen! I remember that!

that saber looks very doable, but would require much custom work, it's not anything your going to knock together out of all standard parts, you'll need to pay to have parts fabricated or make them yourself.

i know it might sound a little odd, but i'd try it in PVC 1st. just a hilt to get you used to what you're getting into. it's a great design idea. Just looks very advanced from what I can see of it. Anyhoo, I love the concept and can't wait to see what you can do with it!
    as brilliant and concise as the above post is, it won't save you any money on car insurance.

I think it could be done but it would be a pain to make. Maybe a more simpler version.

Say the emitter/bladeholder detail is lessened like the jewels could be replaced by holes in the emitter/bladeholder and just on that one side to make machining easier.

But I think it could really be done, talk to tim and see.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Know what guys, I think I'll give it a shot (and I'll take corellian's advice and try to carve the initial design out of PVC first). I'll post the side view pic in a bit (not much to see- it just allowed me to iron out the physical impossibilities of the first picture).

There's still a lot to work through before I actually get started building or sending out anything for machining, though. What do you think, should this thing be aluminum or stainless steel? I can afford both and get it in the size I need without too much hassle.

Also, if anyone knows a good source of (cheap-ish) loose synthetic sapphires please let me know.
    Last edited by Vardarac; 07-24-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    Ore no kono te ga makka ni moeru!
    Shouri wo tsukameto todoroki sakebu!
    BaaaaAAAAKUNETSU!
    GOOOOODUUU FINGAAAAAAAAAA!