Thread: Idea for Color Changing lightsaber

Question Idea for Color Changing lightsaber

For a while, I've thought it would be cool to have a lightsaber with a blade that changes colors. And not like I hit a switch and it switches from one color to another, I mean constantly cycling through colors. So for a while, I wasn't sure how I'd be able to do something like that. Well about 2 weeks ago while I was moving things in rooms that were about to be repainted in the house, I looked at a color changing light I bought from Walmart several months ago and had a "palm-to-face" moment.

It the same as this one but displays a different effect on the wall.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Projecting-Night...QQcmdZViewItem

Pics of the light guts
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...&pictureid=188

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...&pictureid=187

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...&pictureid=189

Here are some pics I took after I opened the light up. The board inside controls the LEDs perfectly for what I want. Power is gradually put into and out of each LED in a constant rate to product a nice cycle of red->orange/yellow->green->light blue->blue->purple. But since I'm still learning this electronics stuff, I thought some of our resident electric gurus could give me some advice and help in this project.

I figure I may be able to use one of the RGB Rebel stars in place of the LEDs there. And I'm not sure about the voltage and all that the board could handle. From my experience, most LEDs run on a forward voltage around 2vdc or 3vdc. But this plugs into a wall socket, which should be 120vac. So the board must be changing the ac to dc(like an inverter for EL, but opposite way around) and bringing down the voltage, right? And I'm not completely certain about what function some of the parts on the board serve. I think the black cylinder part is a capacitor, and I know a resistor when I see one, but what about the blue thing and the rusty brown thing?

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by vamphunterx; 07-23-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That "rusty brown" thing looks like it's also a capacitor, maybe a ceramic one, if it says "C_" (number) on the board below it. The cylindrical part is indeed an electrolytic capacitor, see that is says "C2" silk screened on the board below it?

Not sure what the blue thing is, what does it say on the board under it?

It's a little fuzzy, but it looks like some sort of diode in front of that resistor.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There exists color changing RGB 5mm LEDs (sounds better then 'they make').

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ING-LED/1.html

I have only one. The light change is automatic: it blinks and fades, somehow programed in that little tiny thing. You can make an LED string out of them. it wouldn't be too hard, but I suggest you only get a few to start with - to see if the color change pattern is consistant - know what I mean?

the end

Thats pretty cool, eastern57, I may have to look into that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    That "rusty brown" thing looks like it's also a capacitor, maybe a ceramic one, if it says "C_" (number) on the board below it. The cylindrical part is indeed an electrolytic capacitor, see that is says "C2" silk screened on the board below it?

Not sure what the blue thing is, what does it say on the board under it?

It's a little fuzzy, but it looks like some sort of diode in front of that resistor.
    Thank you as well, JL.
    Underneath the brown part is "C1", so I guess it is a capacitor. There is a small resistor underneath it.

Underneath the blue thing, it says "VSR"
    Last edited by vamphunterx; 07-23-2008 at 11:51 PM.

I am looking forward to the reviews of the Endor optics...
    Until then... It is not that difficult to make a LED-strip out of RGB-LEDs.

In any case, driving the LEDs could be difficult. Just varying the voltage doesn't work that well. You need a circuit that switches them on and off really fast - and at frequencies that change.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    There exists color changing RGB 5mm LEDs ... I suggest you only get a few to start with - to see if the color change pattern is consistant
    I doubt that they would. I have had a couple of LEDs that blink by themselves in a circuit, and they didn't even blink at the same speed.

Exclamation

Sods law, I was thinking about this the other day, then I realised shortly before getting into TCSS, I had a kettle that constantly changed different colours, Cant for the life of me remember what it was called though........

Full of Win & Awesome. Current ranking, 10 internetz.
    Sponsoring internetz increases levels of Win & Awesome.
    Barmic youve got me started on something now

I was lookin' at that color changing light again today and I am determined to get this to work. Anyone know the best place to acquire a Tri-rebel or some kinda RGB led setup that could easily be used in a MHS hilt? I've been looking around and I saw that there are some Endor stars, but the LEDs are so far apart on those.

XWingband no longer makes Tri-Rebels afaik but for RGB LEDs there is the Seoul P5 RGB LED, also the LEDEngin 10W RGBA & RGBW [which add a amber or white die respectively], and LuxeonStar makes rebel Tri-Stars that can be made in custom colour combination RGB.

I think this thing can fade in between colors.

http://www.led-tech.de/en/Alternativ...215_26_27.html

The led engin 10w rgba is a good one to use.

Can the lens sold here be used with any of those RGB leds or do I need to get different ones?