Thread: New idea for sound....

Exclamation New idea for sound....

My wife pointed something out to me that I can't get out of my head:

"You know, if you can't put that sound board inside your new saber, it's ok. It's not like it doesn't already hum. And that hum, I'm assuming, is a natural by-product of the saber working."

And it got me thinking. She's right. I wouldn't be upset with an EL saber that had it's own "type of sound", would you? And it would be one step closer to the movies technically... since it's not like those sabers had sound boards in them.

So... the question I'm putting to you all is:

Does anyone know of a way to amplify the sound of the inverter Hum? Hopefully something small and simple.

Discuss!

-Blair
    UK Sabre Smith and Prop Maker

You could try a little basic buzzer, they would give a kind of humming effect.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Depending upon where the inverter is relative to ones sound holes perhaps one might just put in an inverted cone pointed toward them to act as a mechanical amplifier/resonating chamber like on horns and musical instruments?

I guess it might depend on how much room you could make for the 'horn'...if you arranged the wiring on an EL based MHS hilt so the inverter was at the back behind the battery, switch and mono jack you might be able to get several inches of 'horn' before the MHS pommel with speaker grill...probably wouldnt gain a LOT of volume but some I'd think?

One question I'd have though would be if you used a paper cone like common with speakers would that be SAFE to wrap around an inverter?

How HOT does the 4KHz inverter sold here get and would it ignite a paper 'horn'?

Maybe you'd have to use a little brass horn from a kids toy musical instrument or something.

Then again maybe I'm off on a wild theory again as I often am...alas I dont have any EL saber stuff to experiement with...only LED sabers so far...been thinking a lot about EL for a 'Youngling saber' design though...safer for the wee bairns than LED maybe eh?
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 07-25-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

"Then again maybe I'm off on a wild theory again as I often am...alas I dont have any EL saber stuff to experiement with...only LED sabers so far...been thinking a lot about EL for a 'Youngling saber' design though...safer for the wee bairns than LED maybe eh? "

Onli-won, it is much safer for them because they won't fry their retinas by falling to the temptation to look at the pretty light...
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

You could always put a mini amplifier circuit with a microphone and a speaker. Just amplify the sound from the inverter to blast out the back grill speaker.