Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Special plastic glue

Default Special plastic glue

Why is it special? What is it? Where can I get it?

LanceM

"You'll find Im full of surprises"

If you use a glue that is designed for use with clear plastics it will not yellow or cloud and it also bonds very strong. I use 3M 4475 Plastic Adhesive that I pick up at my local alarm equipment supplier. I would bet hardware and electronics stores would carry it too.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, what Tim uses is Weld-on. It's special because it bonds the plastic together. It actually makes it like a goo if you pull it off a few seconds after. It may be hard to find though.

Anything that chemically bonds the plastics is cool. I know we got on this subject once but searching is failig me...[]

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Craftics #33 works great for me, I have never had a problem with it holding and it stays clear. Do a google search and you should find a place to get it from.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I would sell the stuff but then I have to deal with hazmat crap /shiver

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Really, you'd have to worry about hazmat regulations for Weld-on??? I get it from a local place but they ship it too. Maybe it one of those things you don't tell them what it is they look the other way?!?!

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

From what I can tell it is considered hazmat. The only way to ship Hazmat items is to take the training classes and be certified. You could just ignore this little bit of info but if anything was to happen I am sure it would be a fine none of us would want to pay.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Do you guys think like Model glue would work?

BTW, I got my first shipment today and started building... I should be done my tomm, save the glue problem.... I dont know if you can keep track of who orders what or who ask questions... Still waiting on the 2nd order I place, but not in a big hurry..

Im not amazed with my first saber, but Im proud that Ive built it myself. I need to work with my dremel more though... How did you guys avoid the discoloring from the heat on the inside of the brass tube that happened when I cut the curves into the top of the saber? Im thinking of just painting it black to hide the discoloration that happened or maybe polishing it up and seeing what it looks like.

LanceM

"You'll find Im full of surprises"

A few years back when I was working in a gun shop they had that setup and the manager did all the regulations stuff and he told us don't screw up cause the fines were more than all of us made in a month. I think that any store that is regularly buying and shipping the hazmat stuff gets the training free or cheap but for the individual it's probally a huge fee.

I would be afraid that the model glue would yellow, but I haven't messed with it in years.