Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars character concepts and sketches.

Default Star Wars character concepts and sketches.

First of all I am a 3D computer animator and traditional artist, I am also a very serious STAR WARS "FAN"ATIC. As an artist I am always interested in the work of other artists. I know that at least some, if not most of you, have an artistic side. If you do, please feel free to post some of your STAR WARS related character design sketches, and, or concepts here. If you would like to see your conceptual sketches rendered in 3D, or animated, I might just be willing to put in the time. I have to warn you though, character development is a very time consuming process.

The pics below are of a Sith character that I am currently working on for s**ts and giggles.

Also, 3D rotating renderings of your saber designs would be no problem, but please limit your requests to designs that you are absolutely sure of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darth Kronos; 07-18-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: ammendment

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Dude, you are good!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Thank you. That character took 4 months so far and she isn't even rigged for animation yet. I'll try to render an animation of her mechanical eyes, they operate like the aperture of a camera lens. It's too frakin cool.
    Last edited by Darth Kronos; 07-18-2008 at 11:37 PM.

I'm not the greatest artist in the world, but this is my character, Phiily Manyaan. He is a Corellian smuggler (sounds familiar), but the force is strong with him. His craft of choice is a Lambda-class shuttle purchased off the black market, as it is an imperial shuttle.

I have a fairly detailed account that I've written down somewhere on how he was flying near the tibanna gas mines and Lukes saber fell into the intake of his ship and thats what led him to be trained by master Skywalker. Just don't know if that coincides with any other books.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alderaan shot first.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Phiily Manyaan View Post
    I'm not the greatest artist in the world, but this is my character, Phiily Manyaan. He is a Corellian smuggler (sounds familiar), but the force is strong with him. His craft of choice is a Lambda-class shuttle purchased off the black market, as it is an imperial shuttle.

I have a fairly detailed account that I've written down somewhere on how he was flying near the tibanna gas mines and Lukes saber fell into the intake of his ship and thats what led him to be trained by master Skywalker. Just don't know if that coincides with any other books.
    Is that David Hasselhoff? or Gary Glitter?........... No its Phiily Manyaan.

Full of Win & Awesome. Current ranking, 10 internetz.
    Sponsoring internetz increases levels of Win & Awesome.
    Barmic youve got me started on something now

Is it me or is Darth Kronos's character kind of HOT! (in a starwars geek kind of way)

Quote Originally Posted by Phiily Manyaan View Post
    Luke's sabre was recovered along with his hand, and eventually used by Joruus C'Baoth to create the clone Luuke. Both were killed by Mara Jade and the real Skywalker, and Luke gave the lightsabre to Mara as she began her training.

So it does conflict with accepted canon...but my character's backstory does the same, so we're in the same boat there

Good 3D render there. I always wanted to do stuff like that.

I started a story for my Jedi/Grey Jedi character awhile back and haven't finished yet but when I do I'll post it along with a drawing if I can get that done too.
    The reason it's taking so long is because I made up my own race and started their history from their creation to when my character was born and then some. Plus I'm trying to make it somewhat coincide with the SW timeline. Total nerd I'm sure, I made up my own race/character with an entire timeline of their race and civilization. Did I go too far with it? Probably but it was fun.

Proud owner of the last two style 6 MHS blade holders!
    <('-'<)(>'-')><('-'<)<('-'<)(>'-')>(>'-')><('-'<)(>'-')>

Hello there...man I really like your stuff...myself and a friend worked on a short animated Star Wars film in 2002 and 2004...very simple still image animation colored in Photo-shop... edited on Vegas and we were talking the other day about trying another one with some of the newer programs that were not around or were to expensive back then. Your stuff is exactly what we were talking about... I've included a couple of pics of concept art for you to check out to see if you would be interested in bringing these charters to life in your style...I have tons of development work and I could share the link to the movie if you would be like....Thanks for looking.
    These pics are of the main hero, the tough princess and her guardian and the evil bad guy...their names are Ra-Vange...Mirren and Sedge Moor...and Venal Aimes

Quote Originally Posted by beggarsoutpost View Post
    Hello there...man I really like your stuff...myself and a friend worked on a short animated Star Wars film in 2002 and 2004...very simple still image animation colored in Photo-shop... edited on Vegas and we were talking the other day about trying another one with some of the newer programs that were not around or were to expensive back then. Your stuff is exactly what we were talking about... I've included a couple of pics of concept art for you to check out to see if you would be interested in bringing these charters to life in your style...I have tons of development work and I could share the link to the movie if you would be like....Thanks for looking.
    These pics are of the main hero, the tough princess and her guardian and the evil bad guy...their names are Ra-Vange...Mirren and Sedge Moor...and Venal Aimes

Cool pics, I'd like to see the film.

I hate to say it but most of the programs for 3d work are still way out of the price range of most people. The problem is that these software packages were never really intended to be consumer products, they were designed to meet industry specific needs. I'm using Autodesk Maya 2008 unlimited which retails for eight thousand dollars US. They do produce a scaled down version called Maya complete for about $1999.00 US. Contrary to what the name implies Maya Complete is far from it. Maya complete has no dynamic cloth, fur, or hair capabilities, nor does it allow fluid dynamics simulations for water, smoke, or fire, and there are a lot of other major limitations. Autodesk's 3D Max costs $3499.00. The cheapest high quality 3D package would probobly be lightwave studio, you can pick up a copy for about $750.00. Lightwave is actually a really great program, and it has the best "out of the box" render engine on the market. All of the CGI shots in the Battlstar Galactica series are done with lightwave. Babylon 5 was also done with lightwave, they did amazing stuff with it and that was over a decade ago. There is an open source 3d package called blender that's pretty good, but personally I hate it's interface.
    Last edited by Darth Kronos; 07-19-2008 at 04:29 PM.