Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Use of sink tubes with MHS???????

Default Use of sink tubes with MHS???????

I am compltely new to this so please bear with me.

I want to build a custom saber using mostly MHS components. I also want to custom make a decorative shroud similar to the parks sabers model M2. I do know from reading some threads here, that the sink tube will slide over the MHS parts. I am, however, very curious as to the wall thickness of the sink tube. I don't want it to be so thin as to present a cutting hazard. I also have seen a saber that was made in a similar fashion, it looked great except for the very ugly
    unfinished, unpolished copper interior of the tube. Are your tubes plated copper or steel? If they're copper I'd rather use steel or aluminum. Also. Is the sink tube
    tight enough to shroud the MHS components without using an adapter. Lastly buy definately not least. Which is better EL or LED??????

You'll have much more fun with LED. EL can break when dueling, if you don't wire in resistors bad things happen if you turn the saber on without a blade. LED can be as simple or complex as you want without many issues, colors look better in LED also.

As far as sink tube goes, the only ones I've seen in person (at my local hardware store), looked somewhat thin. Not so thin that you'd be making a razor when you cut it but not thick like standard pipe.
    Alderaan shot first.

Thanks for the advise about led vs el, the breakage info is very useful. By the way you're scruffy lookin. Nerf Herder.
    LOL

The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural
    Last edited by Darth Kronos; 07-18-2008 at 11:50 PM.

There is no reason that a cut sink tube has to be dangerously sharp. You just grind and sand the edges a bit.

Now, sure, if you make a freakishly sharp-angled, triangular cut and have it stick out like a dagger... well, take a wild guess. lol

But just pick one up for $6, cut and shape it as you see fit. Experiment and you'll find... it doesn't HAVE to be dangerous.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Your 'garden variety' sink tube is chrome plated brass - not copper. It has a wall thickness of approximately .025" (that is one of the reasons the MHS compopnents are 1.45" od. No matter how you cut the sink tube, you will have a brass edge showing. In terms of being a cutting hazzard, I am not sure what you mean. Hard to cut of don't want sharp edges to cut your hand. It is real easy to cut with a dremel and easily sands with a file or sandpaper. In terms of cutting yourself, just make sure you debur the edges after you cut them.

Quote Originally Posted by acerocket View Post
    Your 'garden variety' sink tube is chrome plated brass - not copper. It has a wall thickness of approximately .025" (that is one of the reasons the MHS compopnents are 1.45" od. No matter how you cut the sink tube, you will have a brass edge showing. In terms of being a cutting hazzard, I am not sure what you mean. Hard to cut of don't want sharp edges to cut your hand. It is real easy to cut with a dremel and easily sands with a file or sandpaper. In terms of cutting yourself, just make sure you debur the edges after you cut them.
    Thanks for the info ace. Without making a trip to home depot or whatever, I'm assuming that there are solid steel sink pipes available. I'm sure that I will be able to find what I need. Do you know of a reliable source for gold plating or anodizing? At any rate, the outer diameter of the MHS components was actually the biggest question that I had, so thanks. By the way, I was just concerned about cutting my hand or someone else while dueling.

As a side note to the TCSS owner-administrator. You should post the OD, ID, and wall thickness of the various components in the product information to avoid these types of questions in the future.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I agree, LED is superior in almost every way, but I think that everyone should build at least one EL saber!

You can get any pipe that you need at online metals.com. good luck, but make sure to really read these forums. There are answers to almost any question that you may have, if its not here, well, that's why we are all here!

Finally, Welcome to your new obsession!

https://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    You can get any pipe that you need at online metals.com.
    https://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm
    If only that were true. Believe me, I have found all kinds of material I need not available through OM (some not available from any supplier). For instance, you cannot get .025" wall 1.5" od tubing in any material from OM. If you want a sleeve for the MHS from aluminum, you'd have to buy .035" wall tubing and bore it out - not an easy task at all. But they do have decent prices for small quantities on most material a saber builder might need. Another good online source is speedymetals.com.

Speaking of sink tubes with MHS parts...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sn9qlwvtIGk

Well, ok... more like the 1.25" sink tube holder!!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Speaking of sink tubes with MHS parts...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sn9qlwvtIGk

Well, ok... more like the 1.25" sink tube holder!!
    Dude, you are a funny guy! Thats a great video LMAO!!!!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!