Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pointed blade?

Default Pointed blade?

Hey, does anyone know how to make a pointed blade tip, like the ones in ROTS?

Of course, that picture isn't the best. A better shot would be when Yoda first ignites his saber for his duel scene with Palpatine, but unnfortunately I can't pull my ROTS DVD out at the moment.

I don't mean for it to be quite that pointed, but something a bit more like that than the regular rounded tips.

So, does anyone know how this can be done?

i googled acrylic cone and after rooting around a bit i found this
    you might be able to hack off the tip and use some weld-on, or epoxy or somethign to attatch it to the tip of your saber

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcar...?productid=115

The lebret body piercing is a very small spike. It would not work out the way you want. Even if you cut off a small section of the round tip and attached the spike it would not be an even taper & wouldnt look right. I would suggest the good ol' roam the hardware store for ideas method.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Hmm...
    So where do the regular rounded tips come from?

Maybe you can find a plastic wine bottle stopper, or something similar?

The rounded tips are cast. Meaning they start out as a liquid and get poured into a mold, let dry/ harden then pulled out. You could always get it in liquid form, make a mold and cast it pointed. However, acrylic is very brittle. It works for our tips because the rounded surface lets it pass by or "bounce off" most surfaces. But if you directly hit the tip it will shatter. A pointed tip I fear would shatter at the drop of a hat as it tapers to a thin point and also sticks out farther than the rounded style. I could be wrong but in my opinion a pointed tip will only lead to a shattered tip, by inevitably hitting something and breaking off- this is all of coarse refering to an acrylic tip, for someone who wants to use it for moderate to heavy dueling.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by scaarmor

The rounded tips are cast. Meaning they start out as a liquid and get poured into a mold, let dry/ harden then pulled out. You could always get it in liquid form, make a mold and cast it pointed. However, acrylic is very brittle. It works for our tips because the rounded surface lets it pass by or "bounce off" most surfaces. But if you directly hit the tip it will shatter. A pointed tip I fear would shatter at the drop of a hat as it tapers to a thin point and also sticks out farther than the rounded style. I could be wrong but in my opinion a pointed tip will only lead to a shattered tip, by inevitably hitting something and breaking off- this is all of coarse refering to an acrylic tip, for someone who wants to use it for moderate to heavy dueling.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Oh. Oh I see.
    Well, could I make it out of plastic or something? Why does it have to be acrylic?

I dont see any reason why it "has" to be acrylic. Made of rigid plastic should work just fine. I believe the reason they are of acrylic is because these acrylic half rounds are readily available, easy to find/get, and inexpensive. Tim can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is the reason...

Cain

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

It is..but I have on order custom polyc tips with a shoulder that sets into the blade a tad for an extra strong tip. They should be here in about 2 months.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

It is..but I have on order custom polyc tips with a shoulder that sets into the blade a tad for an extra strong tip. They should be here in about 2 months.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Wow. That sounds nice.
    Maybe you could think about (sometime in the distant future) getting some custom-made cone-shaped tips?

Like this one?