Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CF Wiring A to Z Video Coming...

Default CF Wiring A to Z Video Coming...

Ok, so Gundamaniac (Brian) and I are planning to shoot a video as an example of wiring up a CF from the ground up.

The plan is for us to shoot it on the 28th--then, give me some bloody TIME to cut it all together and get it ready to post. Then I'll post the link here.

In general, what we'll be doing:

* Starting from scratch--nothing "pre-done"
    * All soldering will be shown
    * It's Brian's board, so he'll be soldering, I'm just filming, commenting
    * We'll be showing the importance of planning the wiring ahead of time
    * Also, the relevance of putting it into a hilt--so... why you should make wire X longer, wire Y shorter, put a quick disconnect here but not there, etc. etc. ... ... per THIS particular hilt design
    * Suggestions regarding usage of the negative leads

Suggestions or requests welcomed.

What we will NOT be doing:

* a soldering tutorial. If you don't know how to solder, look up Erv's tutorial on Y-Tube or find one you like. If you don't like how Brian solders, tough luck.
    * showing a bunch of the sound fonts. That'd be for a different video.
    * taking it super-seriously. I'll probably screw around a lot and give Brian as much grief as is possible. Hopefully he'll screw it up and set the board on fire and it will get 1,000,000 hits on Y-tube.

Totally kidding.

~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

LOL
    Crystal Focus on fire the stuff nightmares are made of.....

I think this is an excellent thing to do! Pdf's and diagrams are fine, but actually showing how to do it is much better. Trying it yourself would still be the best way to learn, but it helps IMMENSLY when someone can walk you thru the general process first (especially for things on the more expensive side). Makes the task a lot less taunting imo. Looking forward to this!

Great idea

Could've done with such a video when I first wired up my CF so I'm sure it'll be of use to many of the folk on here

Quote Originally Posted by Roy's Blues View Post
    LOL
    Crystal Focus on fire the stuff nightmares are made of.....
    Don't mention it My CF v4 board did that last night but there is hope just got to replace, somehow, one of those little yellowish boxes.
    I'll just have an electronic professional unsolder the thing and put a new one on there. By that time I will start over and be able to watch this new video! lol! I can't wait!
    Last edited by Count Malik; 07-16-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Holy crap... did you use a soldering gun? The yellow boxes are capacitors. You really shouldn't have been close enough to bother either of them.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I can tell you right now planning wiring is a good thing also what erv has in his manual is great and all but for some of us who don't want all that fancy stuff just want a basic which i have but yes this would be a great new addition to a new CD or something completely different such as a CF with just tutorials and what not and then a CD with just sounds fonts from various people.
    ...YUP!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    Holy crap... did you use a soldering gun? The yellow boxes are capacitors. You really shouldn't have been close enough to bother either of them.
    My bet is that it was an arc welder..

Default To CD or not (2) CD?

Not sure yet if this will go on a NSCFCDv2...

...or simply just go up onto the Youtube page. Personally, I see no reason in putting it onto a 2nd CD or anything.

If it were up to me, I would have ALREADY had this on the CD *and* on my youtube vids, but... Brian wasn't able to wire up his v3 for the past few months and months... too busy!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I think it was my battery pack. wasn't even near a soldering iron. But thats life I guess. But there is a crackle of sound. If I do another saber I'm going to probably send it to somebody that know what he/she is doing.The vid. sounds cooler by the minute.