Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: complete blades choice

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Default complete blades choice

I was messing around with some different material because I dont want to continue using real glass mirrors in the tips. While playing around with some different material I had tried some undersized reflective discs. Here are some comparison pics. The tip fills out pretty nice. Let me know if you currently have a blade on order and would rather I build it this way. Also let me know if it is ok to just use a "safer" reflective material instead of an actual glass mirror on your blade.

Normal mirrored tip
    [img]../scripts/tiptest1.jpg[/img]
    Undersized reflective material
    [img]../scripts/tiptest2.jpg[/img]
    close up
    [img]../scripts/tiptest3.jpg[/img]

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Looks really good. What are these disks made out of?

Less talk, more action........

Sort of like aluminum foil

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Ah yes, I've seen some of those - kinda flexable material with a covering.

Well it looks good, the tip doesn't just cut off and is lit.

Doing well Tim! Getting better and better.

Less talk, more action........

I like the looks of the mirrored tip much better...

IMO, it has a much 'cleaner' look, and doesn't allow the light to splay out. I'd much rather have the unlit tip, than the 'flashlight' effect.

Also, wouldn't it actually be safer for your eyes to contain all of the light from the LED? I know that when my son's MHS saber had the MRFX blade, I was always getting beamed in the eyes when we would duel. I didn't even let him have the saber when I wasn't in the room, for just that reason. But with your mirrored blades, I don't really have any worries about him trying to look down the blade.

If I ever end up re-using the MR blades for any reason (temps or whatever), I'm going to paint the tips to contain the light.

Just my 2 cents. []

EDIT-

BTW, is that blue, or royal blue? The color is fantastic...

Tim the reflective tape looks much better. The blade just doesn't end it is rounded which makes it more realistic looking. I would say offer both choices and let everyone make up their own minds.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The top illumination is cool on the new tip, but I'm not digging the little flares going down. That's probably only something that happens on a wall. You should offer both since the safety issue is valid.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

<u>Please </u> offer both!!! I would really like that new blade, personally. I just don't want my blade tip unlit.

You are right xwing..you only see the flair like that when it is touching something. In that picture it is laying on the floor.
    In the close up picture I am holding it in the air.

Devilstar..
    It is Blue..Whenever I test something like this I am generally using my sons converted Anakin as it is usually the only completed saber around. Still havent made myself one yet.

As far as getting beemed in the eyes from the light coming out the tip. Its not bad since the light only comes out from the sides of the tip. Have you seen those kids flashlights where they project a image on the wall? This does the same thing.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I think that is really awesome. You can count me in for the new style reflector, I am guessing that there would be enough light reflection so that there is not the same problem that Devilstar2k2 was referring to.

Question answered....I'LL TAKE IT[]