Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Edit: It's time for the Talent Show again. Pg.3

Default Edit: It's time for the Talent Show again. Pg.3

Here’s the thing…

My church is putting on a talent show in a couple of weeks… (you can see where this is going already, can’t you lol) Well, if the powers that be let it be possible, I want to do a Star Wars duel with my cousin. Aside from the fact that I may not have enough time to pull it off, the problem is I only have the `05 Anakin saber that I got for Xmas. I don’t want to use that one for obvious reasons.

I was wondering what is the best, and possibly cheapest, way to make 2 duel worthy sabers for this skit. I would rather them have sound, but I may just include it in the music and just kind of “Lip sync” it. But that will be even more difficult to choreograph. And I only have till March 25th (I think. It’s that Sat.)

What should I do? What is the strongest blade design? And I was also thinking that is should be a modular blade. Maybe with a quick disconnect.
    I’ve looked for broken M.R. sabers on ebay to rebuild, but you guys must have bought them all… lol. So I figured that I’d just do a Home Depot hilt. I’d like it to be fairly good looking because everyone will want to see it afterwards.

Mike

Edit: I was thinking about using the EL blade construction 36” long. That length will be stronger, I think, without looking too small and it will be easier to handle in the small space of the stage.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Modular is the way to go if you don't care about looks. You won't have to worry about parts since they're all available here and it's solid.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Has anyone here broken any of these blades? I know the MR ones tend to loose LEDs. I would assume that the EL would be more durable and have a more uniform look. However, I have limited funds so the LED blade would be the most cost effective, from what I've read.

The other thing I was worried about was the time it would take to build it. I have yet to attempt this, but I am generally very good at this kind of stuff, but between buying what I need, teaching myself how to do it, (with the help of the tutorials) how much time would I have left to learn how to fight, practice, coordinate, edit the music, ect…

I am very exited about doing this, but reality seems to be crushing my ambition. If I had the $$ to blow, I’d just buy 2 new MR’s and beat on those, then if they brake, fix them afterwards.

I wish I found this site earlier, instead of last week. lol

where do you live maybe someone hear would help that is close to you. If you live in colorado I know I would help.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Scaarmor talked about bending, but not breaking, the PolyC and he had a bunch of guys trying to break it. They eventually were able to bend it over their knee but it took a long time.

EL or LED is something you need worry about for dueling. EL is just wire and there's nothing in the LED blade so don't worry about it.

As for building it with your basic stuff it could easily be done in a day even by a novice. Sound will not be as easy the problem I see though is the price. The basic kit is not going to be significantly lower than an MR. It sound like you're on a budget. Maybe a "Home Depot" saber will be possible on $50 each, but those aren't going to hold up to "gorilla" style dueling or maybe even moderate dueling.

EDIT: Here's an adage that applies:
    You can have it cheap, fast or better. Pick two.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

I live in MA, Worcester County.

As I continue reading the posts I am finding more and more answers to my questions.
    And, as you said, it looks like it’s all going to cost about the same. I think the best way to go would be to try and score a damaged MR saber(s) and convert them to the one LED version. That way I will still have all the electronics and sound FX I’m looking for and I won’t feel so guilty about tearing apart a perfectly good MR. I don’t want to do anything to the one I have because it was a gift. It would be disrespectful to touch that one.

Here is a thought buy two Hasbro lightsabers with sound and glue the joints of the blade together or install pop rivets to hold the blade extended then after your duel you will have your sound boards for your sabers that you want to build.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

Firebird, you said you live in Worcester County? I live in Mass, about 45 minutes from Quincy if you know where that is, and I have a converted Anakin w/ a green blade that I'd be willing to lend to you for the show, and take care of at least one of your saber problems. the blade and hilt are a bit scuffed up from the massive death battles my friends and I tend to have lol but it still works perfectly and has sound to boot. let me know if you're interested.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by thestr8metaledge

Firebird, you said you live in Worcester County? I live in Mass, about 45 minutes from Quincy if you know where that is, and I have a converted Anakin w/ a green blade that I'd be willing to lend to you for the show, and take care of at least one of your saber problems. the blade and hilt are a bit scuffed up from the massive death battles my friends and I tend to have lol but it still works perfectly and has sound to boot. let me know if you're interested.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That would be a big help!

I am trying to come up with the cash to order the parts to start my first one. It's a little hard to justify it to the wifey when we are getting behind on bills... But tax season is here, it's ether upgrade the PC or build a Lightsaber. Decisions decisions...

I was even thinking about going to the local retail stors and asking them if I could buy their damaged MR displays.

nah stick with getting damaged ones off Ebay if you're trying to save money. most stores that I've been to will try and charge you full price for the displays, even if they're clearly broken (i.e. the vast majority of the lights are out or the blade is cracked). you wouldn't believe this one moron at Borders. I picked up an Anakin ROTS display model and could hear broken bits of whatnot sliding around inside the hilt, not to mention half the blade didn't light up and the diffuser was cracked. what does he say about that? (no lie) "oh it works fine. the little spots in it are just dust inside the blade."
    wow. biggest dust spots I've ever seen. and so evenly formed too! lol
    well anyways if you'd like the use of my saber, I can meet you in Quincy. I've never actually seen a stage lightsaber duel either, I'd like to watch it.