Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Odd Dialogue?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Leximus View Post
    Any line that comes out of Anakin's mouth in TPM...period.

I dunno, the "are you an angel" is a GREAT pick up line.

I'm just watching ANH, and noticed one of Han's lines. It's when he's watching R2D2 play against Chewie on that board game.

"But sir, nobody worries about upsetting a droid!"
    "That's because droids don't pull your arms out of your sockets when they lose..."

All fine, but Han keeps going. "Wookies are known to do that". The extra bit at the end just sounds a bit unnecessary, like Lucas thought nobody would get it if he didn't add it.

(edit) Agh, just found another one that always bugged me! When Grand Moff Tarkin and Darth Vader find out about the Falcon being captured by the Death Star. Vader suggests they "must be trying to return the stolen plans to the Princess". It makes no sense if you think about it. Trying to save the Princess would make sense, but why would they board a beat up old freighter, blast out of Mos Eisley, seek out the station welded to the biggest gun in the galaxy then get captured as part of a an attempt to return the plans to the person who was trying to get rid of them in the first place?
    Last edited by Brackley; 07-12-2008 at 06:13 PM.

All movies (and I do mean *ALL*) have flaws in dialogue, events, and... well especially continuity, but... anyhow...

All I can say is the whole EP III, Anakin & Obi about to fight:

"Let her go Anakin, LET HER GO"
    and all of the whole
    "You underestimate my power"
    "My new empire"
    "Your new empire?"
    "Only a sith deals in absolutes"
    "I will do what I must"
    "You will try"

...is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Worst ever. Worse than even Balance of Power Ep I...

Worse than that, yes.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    All movies (and I do mean *ALL*) have flaws in dialogue, events, and... well especially continuity, but... anyhow...

All I can say is the whole EP III, Anakin & Obi about to fight:

"Let her go Anakin, LET HER GO"
    and all of the whole
    "You underestimate my power"
    "My new empire"
    "Your new empire?"
    "I will do what I must"
    "You will try"

...is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Worst ever. Worse than even Balance of Power Ep I...

Worse than that, yes.
    lol :P

BoP was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackley View Post
    "My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count."

It just seemed to be a really clumsy way of saying it, and even sounded like it was forced in so Lucas could get Dooku's "twice the pride, double the fall" line in.

That said, I liked the novelisation where Count Dooku just replied "oh, how lovely for you ".
    Dooku's lie isnt any better than Ani's it just has a better actor to say it with more 'gravitas'...really though; "...double the fall"???

What does that even mean? Ani's going to fall TWICE i.e. pick himself up and fall again? Fall twice as far? Fall twice as fast? All of the above?

Certainly if it was meant in the context one would consider MOST likely for a former-Jedi to be using the term "fall" - 'Fall' to the Dark Side - then it doesnt make any sense at all since as Yoda suggested with the "forever will it control your destiny" line the Jedi apparently believed that once one fell to the Dark Side it was irrevocable [Vader proved otherwise but that was LATER so wouldnt explain the illogic of Dookus comment] so that Ani wouldnt be able to 'un-Fall' in order to "double...Fall" again.

Neither does Fall twice as far or twice as fast make sense since Falling to the Dark side was an all or nothing thing just as one couldnt be a little bit pregnant one couldnt be 'half-fallen' or 'double fallen' to the Dark Side you weither WERE or WERENT and it happened in an INSTANT as we see with Ani and Mace and later clearly Palpatine attempting with Luke so clearly 'falling' to the dark side was not something that could happen at 'half-speed' or 'double speed' either.

Sorry to sound like someone from That Other Franchise but Dookus "...double the Fall" is just completely ILLOGICAL.

I'm just watching ANH, and noticed one of Han's lines. It's when he's watching R2D2 play against Chewie on that board game.

"But sir, nobody worries about upsetting a droid!"
    "That's because droids don't pull your arms out of your sockets when they lose..."

All fine, but Han keeps going. "Wookies are known to do that". The extra bit at the end just sounds a bit unnecessary, like Lucas thought nobody would get it if he didn't add it.

(edit) Agh, just found another one that always bugged me! When Grand Moff Tarkin and Darth Vader find out about the Falcon being captured by the Death Star. Vader suggests they "must be trying to return the stolen plans to the Princess". It makes no sense if you think about it. Trying to save the Princess would make sense, but why would they board a beat up old freighter, blast out of Mos Eisley, seek out the station welded to the biggest gun in the galaxy then get captured as part of a an attempt to return the plans to the person who was trying to get rid of them in the first place?
    Agreed about the redundancy,

...but I always thought that when Vader said that to Tarkin he meant that the Falcon was trying to return the plans to where they would hope for the Princess to be and where the Falcon DID arrive - the ALDERAAN system.

Remember that the droids didnt know the Princess had been captured and taken TO the Death Star...all that any of them on the Falcon knew from the message R2 was given for Kenobi was that Leia had wanted to get the plans to "General" Kenobi because he had "served my [her] father in the Clone Wars" and that was why Obi-Wan immrediately headed to Alderaan...to take the plans to Bail Organa.

Vader and Tarkin wouldnt KNOW that of course...but it would be a reasonable deduction that if Leia Organa was "part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor!" then surely her highly political royal father and former eminent member of the newly "dissolved" Senate would also have to be...so WHOEVER she had sent the plans to would be EXPECTED to try and return them to Bail Organa and thus BY EXTENSION, to return them to Princess Leia, if she had managed to escape and return 'home'.

Thus we see it wasnt just 'spite' towards Leia that led Tarkin to take the Death Star to Alderaan, nor was it simply because Dantooine was "too remote to be an effective demonstration"...he knew that whoever had the plans would try and go there specifically...and he decided to crush their mission and the Rebellions 'new hope' of the the Death Star plans by crushing both Bail Organa and planet of Alderaan itself before he could receive them.

Tarkin was more clever than he sometimes seems from what little we saw of him in ANH...he'd have to be to become a Grand Moff.

Of course the Falcon DID end up flying to the biggest gun in the Galaxy...but only because their INTENDED recipient of the plans, who would accept them on the Princess' behalf, wasnt at their destination Alderaan - because the Death Star WAS.

Oh and remember 3PO and R2 "I've FOUND her" - they didnt go to the Death Star to rescue the Princess...they didnt even know she was there! It was purely what we'd call 'serendipity' that they did find and rescue her...although they'd say it was The Force no doubt.

Believe me - 'The Force' moves in Mysterious Ways...ESPECIALLY when it comes to PRINCESSES - and irl too [if only I *could* tell you what I mean by that, -sigh- but you wouldnt believe it if I could lol]
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 07-12-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    What really bothered me about that line is that it makes the statement that Jedi do not believe in absolutes, which is a contradiction in itself. If there are no absolutes, then it is not absolutely true that there are no absolutes. Furthermore, there is no absolute right or wrong, and therefore no reason for the Jedi to have any sort of moral code (which they obviously do).

If anything, the SITH are the ones who do not follow absolutes, as they have a philosophy closer to moral relativism ("whatever's right for them").

I think Lucas got a little too high on his flimsy new-age philosophy there.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

it makes you smile more when you replace certain words with stuff like "pants"

"I find you lack of pants disturbing"

"luke... help me take these pants off"

play round see what you get

"During the constuction there was no doubt as to what I would name her, this saber is mine, this is Fury" - Mcich Felwind

Obviously they weren't trying to return them to her *on* the Death Star, they were trying to return them to her on Alderaan, which the Death Star had just destroyed. Nobody but the Imperials know Leia has been captured and imprisoned at that point.
    The lightsaber: An elegant weapon from a more civilized age...
    ... or the galaxy's best utility knife?

If I remember correctly, Lucas did not write the dialogue for the films. He tried to, but it was very boring, however it was coherent being that it was his idea. When he enlisted the Huycks to write, I think some things were lost in translation and whoever wrote for the new ones botched the whole thing.
    Alderaan shot first.