Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CF Question:Wiring switches to the GND pad

Default CF Question:Wiring switches to the GND pad

Hi all

Just a question relating to something I've seen mentioned here several times but never fully understood....

I've heard talk in other threads of wiring the auxillary and ignite switches back to the GND pad instead of to the battery -ve. That would simplify my wiring and keep it more compact if I understand it correctly.

Would the wiring below be correct if I was to do this?

Thanks for any help

Yes... you can do this according to your wiring diagram.

For those reading though--don't put anything more than switches and maybe an indicator LED or two on the GND pad. And DO NOT wire a motor to that GND pad.

But again, yes--wiring the switches to the GND pad is a very smart idea, especially for both spacial and "wiring looking clean" reasons!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Nice one!

Thanks for your help yet again Novastar

I'm just gonna have the switches on there, I don't have any LEDs or anything as yet.

Follow-up question:

I've got my CF 4.0 wired exactly as above, with my aux button a momentary switch and my on/off switch being a latching, both switches from right here in Tim's shop. I pull the dummy plug, get bootup sound. I work the aux switch, and I can page through the sound banks just fine. (heh. "Novastar! <beep> Blackstar!" cracks me up every time.) I just can't seem to turn it on for some reason. I'm aware of APOP, but I might not be hitting the buttons correctly. Any Ideas?
    "In the battle with one's self, there can be no winner, for the victor and vanquished are one and the same"

-Me

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpectreT65 View Post
    Follow-up question:

I've got my CF 4.0 wired exactly as above, with my aux button a momentary switch and my on/off switch being a latching, both switches from right here in Tim's shop. I pull the dummy plug, get bootup sound. I work the aux switch, and I can page through the sound banks just fine. (heh. "Novastar! <beep> Blackstar!" cracks me up every time.) I just can't seem to turn it on for some reason. I'm aware of APOP, but I might not be hitting the buttons correctly. Any Ideas?
    You were thorough up to the menu selection... then jumped to trying to turn it on. Quick procedure check:

- pull key, get boot up sound
    - try activator, no power up
    - hold down aux, beep, release push hold, get menu selection
    - single click aux to navigate menu
    - hold aux down to select menu
    - menu selection repeats, get boot up sound
    - try activator again - and again nothing

Is this what happens?

The switch type and APOP are set up in the config files, they're default set to latching and APOP off - if you haven't messed with it, it shouldn't be a problem...

and before I get too far along... Have you read Novastar's trouble shooting guide? It's the "I've buttered my toast" guide.

If THAT doesn't help you out, then it's time to seek professional assistance (aka, not us)...

EDIT: I found the thread and bumped it. Take a look, it's a good read.... and as a courtesy, please don't bother Erv until he comes back to TCSS.
    Last edited by eastern57; 07-23-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: thread

Spec... to confirm:

* APOP doesn't affect the menu selection in any way... it solely affects the lightsaber and iSaber modes.

* Holding down the aux button for a few seconds after you hear the font's name will select it and load that sound font

Depending on whether you've tweaked the "valsnd" parameter, you may or may not get a confirmation. Personally, I set valsnd=0 to get the following:

* remove kill pin
    * my saber says "Loading..." or "Scanning Data..." or "Accessing..." (etc.)
    * for menu, hold down aux a few seconds
    * menu sound plays, menu background begins...
    * current mode selected repeats, such as "*zzt* Electrostaff... *zzt*"
    * tap button, new choices... scan through quickly if you like
    * tap... "Episode I"
    * tap... "Novastar"
    * tap... "Nano Deus Tachi"
    * hold down aux button a few seconds...
    * my saber says "Loading..." or "Scanning Data..." or "Accessing..." (etc.)

Now, we should be in Nano Deus Tachi. Note that it doesn't "confirm" on this mode. I love that, it just gets right down to it.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

@eastern57: that little checklist is a precise indicator of what happens.

@Novastar: Nope, haven't started playing with the parameters yet. I figured I'd wait until I had the thing up and running, then I'd order your CD and start having fun with all those sound fonts, then I'd follow through on my threats to make a flatulent sound font just to crack up my usual practice dummy - er, sparring partner.

Edit to add - I suspect faulty wiring on my part may be the cause. The "Y" of two switches to one wire to GND pad might not be making the connection on the activator switch - I've got a new switch on order, too.
    Last edited by SpectreT65; 07-24-2008 at 05:42 AM.
    "In the battle with one's self, there can be no winner, for the victor and vanquished are one and the same"

-Me

You can check if the switch works on its own by wiring it into a battery setup and metering voltage with a multimeter. Use the switch to complete or cut the circuit.

Further reporting - copied all the cf files to a "test bench" folder, changed the "switch" parameter to 1, now it's pull dummy plug, saber ignites. Still ignores ignition switch. Tomorrow, I'll set the switch for a momentary and see if it will notice. once I've eliminated Software, all that remains is hardware. (Can you tell I work in tech support?)

-Me

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, it certainly sounds like the switch. Did you test it out? If you're getting vocal menu and power up sequences, the software is running correctly. Are you going to try a momentary switch too or just the different setting?

Check the A pad also. Sometimes the metal pad can separate from the actual connection.