Thread: hot, hot, hot

Default hot, hot, hot

so I've finally finished wiring up my 2 sabers. everything works fine (maybe), but where I'm having trouble is the battery pack for my lux 3 green has started to melt at the bottom coil. i'm not sure whats going on, i don't have anything fancy in there, its just the led. anyone have any ideas why or how i can fix this? I have a lux 3 blue also, i made it for a friend, again, it works, buti just wired it up today, i don't want the same thing to happen.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." - Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

1. Don't do anything with it right now... melting is bad!!
    2. Post some clear photos of your wiring so we can help.
    3. Additionally, make some kind of wiring diagram and show that too.

Quick questions...

Are you using a resistor? If so, what kind...
    What kind of cells are you using?
    What is the total voltage of those cells you're using?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

is a battery backwards?

i can't post pick, my wife "misplaced" our digital.

4AA battery holder
    2.2ohm 5w resistor
    Build Your Own
    Luxeon III Electronics Kit
    Push on/push off switch with red button
    Quick connector

my red lead from the battery pack is going to the switch, the switch is then going to the resistor, the resistor goes to the quick connect, and the quick connect goes to the led

i have the black lead going from the battery pack to the quick connect, to the led.

everything works for both of the sabers, its just that i noticed (by burning myself) that the battery pack got really hot, and is melting.

i appreciate the help.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." - Edward Abbey (1927-1989)

Sounds like you've got a short somewhere.Could be where you've soldered the wires to the led and one or both are just touching the heatsink.
    Alternatively check that none of your connections are touching the inside of the hilt as your wiring circuit sounds ok from what you've written.
    Also make sure to use heatshrink on all connections,where possible, because things can get a bit squashed inside a hilt even though they look fine on the bench.

Default Ta-Da!

thanks for all the help...i wans't completely finished.

I added heat shrink to the connections and left the sabers on for about 20 minutes(which was well past the time they should have been all melty) and things are just fine. again, thanks. i have another problem, but I'm going to check for previous posts before i ask for help.

Good to know you got it working.