Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: EL and LED description

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Show me the grammatical errors. I could look at it all day and not be able to tell where they are.[xx(]

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

Want to roleplay in the SW universe? Visit:
    </center>

Okay, <font color="red">red </font id="red"> signifies things that need to be changed, along with descriptions. <font color="blue">Blue </font id="blue"> signifies parts of sentences that need to be re-worded a bit. <font color="green">Green </font id="green"> is stuff I added to make it sound better.

Every lighted saber is made up of two main parts<font color="red">,(it should be a colon)</font id="red"> The blade and the hilt. There are two main styles of sabers <font color="blue">made using parts from here</font id="blue">.

<u>EL (Electroluminescence)</u>

EL is a wire that glows when a<font color="green">[n electric]</font id="green"> current is applied. The color is determined by the color of wire inside the blade. You have probably encountered it before <font color="blue">as perhaps </font id="blue"> the backlight of a watch.

EL saber blades use up to 17 feet of wire inside a 3/4" Polycarbonate blade. The wire itself is disguised by a diffuser of HD polyethylene tubing. This opaque tubing disguises the wire<font color="green">[,]</font id="green"> yet allows light to filter through.

EL's advantages are <font color="red">it's (no apostrophe)</font id="red"> even color and easy of color changing. All it takes is switching a blade to change the color. Some colors<font color="green">[,]</font id="green"> however<font color="green">[,]</font id="green"> are fairly dull compared to others. EL's brightness is affected by the voltage and can be safely run at 9-18V.

<u>LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes)</u>

In The Custom Saber Shop<font color="green">[,]</font id="green"> Luxeon LEDs are used. They are the bigger brother of the LEDs <font color="blue">you may have as I'd change it to simply "LEDs in keychain lights"</font id="blue"> keychain lights.

LEDs are much brighter than the brightest EL. The downside is that the color is not even <font color="blue">(the light will fade the longer the blade and flare at the base) I'd change this to "There is a bright flare at the base, and the longer the blade, the more the light will fade towards the tip"</font id="blue">. This also gives the white core and colored aura that is more accurate to the movie sabers <font color="red">colored aura (I'd just take this part out)</font id="red"> as opposed to EL's solid color.

Changing colors is not as easy<font color="green">[,]</font id="green"> but <font color="blue">there are two options: The Modular Hilt system using a quick change kit, and colored discs. I'd make this more like a list. You might use numbers to signify the difference between the two.</font id="blue">

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, now that I see those it makes me go D'OH! I have class in a bit so changes will come later, and Tim will have to change the store's entry.[]

</center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Woo... more changes because my grammar suxs.[] I made some other changes too.

</center>

Very very nice!

I looked it all over, and only found one error:
    ...bigger brother of the LEDs keychain lights...

There should be an "in" in-between "LEDs" and "keychain".

Good job, though!

hey strydur, any chance you could carry the RGB led's with the three wheels to change the color?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing

Very very nice!

I looked it all over, and only found one error:
    ...bigger brother of the LEDs keychain lights...

There should be an "in" in-between "LEDs" and "keychain".

Good job, though!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oops...[:I] Took too much in the edit. LOL

</center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtainguy
    hey strydur, any chance you could carry the RGB led's with the three wheels to change the color?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Psst... wrong thread. You want the "store wish list" thread. Call them more than wheels too. They're potentiometers, or pots for short.[]

</center>

Ryma Mara

I thought in the movies they just shoved a colored dowel in the hilt and used a conputer effects in later...atleast thats the way they did in 4,5,6.

My specal ed tapes tell me so.

they first tried reflective film on the blades but that didnt work out too well because once you move it out of the lighting area it would shine anymore until they discovered rotoscoping.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.