Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: EL and LED description

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

A few changes to think about.

The color is determined by the blade and wire you use.
    The color is determined by the color of wire inside the blade.

In Sabers up to 17 feet of wire is used to get a 3/4" blade.
    EL saber blades are built using up to 17 feet of wire housed in a 3/4" Polycarbonate tube.

EL however is affected by voltage and more batteries can be added to increase the brightness.
    EL brightness is affected by the voltage used to power the inverter. The inverters sold here can safely be powered by 9-18 volts.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Changed again. Now I remember why I'm not an english major.[xx(]

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

xwingband, keep up the good work. When people complain about my grammer or spelling I quickly point out that none of my degrees major in english, in fact I am not even qualified to be an english private. lol

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

Now I remember why I'm not an english major.[xx(]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ha! That's exactly what I'm aiming for!

Also, you might mention that for the most part, the EL and LED kits and parts aren't interchangeable. It was something that I was a bit confused on before i built one. Such as invertors and blades, and why the part in each kit is exactly what you need to build that saber.

I'd have to back up Xwing on a lot of what is considered overly technical. In my experience, there are a lot of people out there who won't even consider an MR saber because of price and because "they're just not that into it," much less look into something like these. The guys that stumble on to this site are probably sharp, willing to scrape up the cash, more "into it," and, from the posts even a little more tech savvy. And, from what I can tell, even the guys who are willing to admit that they're not that tech savvy are still hungry for the details and willing to learn. I thought your explanation was pretty stinkin' good. But, then, it's not my store. Just my opinion.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

I'd have to back up Xwing on a lot of what is considered overly technical. In my experience, there are a lot of people out there who won't even consider an MR saber because of price and because "they're just not that into it," much less look into something like these. The guys that stumble on to this site are probably sharp, willing to scrape up the cash, more "into it," and, from the posts even a little more tech savvy. And, from what I can tell, even the guys who are willing to admit that they're not that tech savvy are still hungry for the details and willing to learn. I thought your explanation was pretty stinkin' good. But, then, it's not my store. Just my opinion.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yeah, you're right on a lot of points, but I still think it's a bit much to delve into things like the details of how EL wire is treated with chemicals. It has virtually nothing to do with how the saber works. All you need to know is what the wire actually does, not its backrgound and history.

Anyway, I was thinking, should there even be any mention of "movies"? Isn't that pushing some legal limits or something?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't think mentioning the "movies" is pushing any limits as long as we aren't associating ourselves with Lucas and saying were official lightsaber makers or anything. You can make props all you want just don't say their official.[]

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Good Idea but no matter what anybody says I think you are on the right Track and doing a great Job, since I know this isn't an easy task.

May the Force
    Be with You

Marc E.

I don't think I quite like the summary:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

EL is more of a solid tone along the length, while LED fades toward the tip and has a flare at the base. If you want the ability to change colors with different blades EL has an edge.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It doesn't say at all that LED is brighter. It just lists the cons of LED (uneven light), and the pros of EL (even glow and easy color-switching).
    I realize that you addressed the brightness issue earlier in the descriptions, but some people are just gonna skip to the end.

I'd put it this way:
    EL has more of a solid tone along the length of the blade and makes it easy to switch colors, but isn't nearly as bright.

LED is much brighter and accurate to the movie sabers, but has an uneven light and isn't as easy to switch colors

Lastly, I noticed a lot of grammatical errors in the descriptions (being a future literature major and all []). If you want, I can go over the whole text and try to fix it for you. []
    It'd make it more readable, and would bring honor and glory to the Strydur Empire.
    *Kneels*