Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: EL and LED description

Do we really need so much technical info? Should that be in the tutorials or something?

I'm just saying that it seems like a little TMI for someone who's not an electronics expert.

You could shorten it down basically just telling people what the end effect of it is when it's done.

For instance:
    Some colors aren't extremely bright though because they must have more treatments to achieve the correct color and are therefore dull compared to other EL colors.

Could be shortened to:
    Some colors are brighter, while other EL colors are more dull.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I understand that but I don't want to leave out too much. If it's not explained a bit I'm afraid people will wonder why that these two colors of wire are so different in brightness. Without any explaination a person expects to get two different colors and they be exactly the same except a different color. It's like a person buying an LCD monitor to replace a CRT and not changing the settings on their computer. It will look like crap and without knowing why they'll come complaining.

It's a lot easier to remove than add stuff also.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Do you want to mention cost differences at all? with the quick change kit your cost differences amount to another LED, heatsink setup or the color disks, EL will run quite a bit more as you have to construct another blad with more el wire, poly E tube and so on and so on, not to discourage one way or the other, but it might be something you want to consider, as it is an informative guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I haven't seen to many decide based on cost so I never figured that to be much of an issue. I've always seen it as a look issue. It can be added though.

<center>

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

It needs to be a somewhat short description of the 2 choices. It doesnt matter which we prefer, what matters is that the novice can read the description and gather just enough info to undertsand the main differences between the 2 but not be more confuzed than before they read it.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Made shorter and sweeter, hopefully ( [xx(] ).

<center>

I think it's great, it's just that the EL description is still a little too techy. I think you can cut out the parts in red:

EL is a wire that glows <font color="red">by using special coatings that </font id="red"> when a current is applied <font color="red">makes it glow</font id="red">. The color is determined by <font color="red">the chemical process used to treat</font id="red"> the wire [itself]. You have probably encountered it before as perhaps the backlight of a watch.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, the first is wordy... the second I changed but basically kept. I also added a sentence to make the point that one EL blade or one LED can't do all the colors. Sometimes people think it's the electronics and I want to avoid that thought.

<center>

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

before you get to the main description of the 2 we should have a statement like this.

Every lighted saber is made up of two main parts, The blade and the hilt. There are two main styles of sabers made using parts from here. The following briefly describes the two in order to help you decide which way to go.

Now in the EL section make sure it clearly states that the color is set by the blade and in the LED section that the color is set by the hilt.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Changed.

<center>