Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern57's "Mongrel" (CF V2.63 w/ V Green)

Is that chocolate or motor oil?? LOL kidding..I personally would go more with a heated/burnt look but that may be hard to do since aluminum is such a heat sensitive metal. Let me think of a way to make it look "overheated"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I was actually going for the "rusty" look. and that's actually dry, it looks wet but it's not... I think I came up with something that'll work, but lemme try a few more things before I tell everyone... could possibly be embarassing....

So what is it your trying accomplish with this design?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

You're not going to poop on it are you?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm going for a "rusty bucket" look... picture a rake head or spade thats been sitting out in the garage for years... not really ancient or antiquated, but just old and used.. and not terribly well-kept.

The picture doesn't quite reflect what I had in mind, but I'm trying different things, and I'm getting closer.

That one piece is a section of MHS that was brushed with olive oil and baked for 30 minutes at 500 degrees. it's solidly on there - even more so with a clear coat, but I can sand it off too. I like this drection, but not certain of it yet.

Here's a better angle

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Update

Got some holes drilled. I don't have a drill press, so I had to drill these by hand. It was a little tricky, still not straight, but close.

Stupid me did the internal mock-up AFTER I drilled the holes... I came up .5" short. So instead of two screws holding the top section I'll only have one, the exposed hole will work for my aux button.

The center section is 10.25" (can't really tell from the picture), coming along slowly but surely.

I'm trying to plan the holes, but I'm waiting on the grafles clamp... that's gonna be interesting. I'm trying to fit a bar graph and activator on the clamp, but still trying to figure out how.

Recharge port will be off to the side - no way I can squeeze it around the resonance chamber, and won't even try. My franken-saber has the recharge port in the butt, but its just in the speaker mount - no resonance chamber, and it sounds too thin for me. I want good sound for this one.

eastern57

thats wha tI was wondering how the design was gonna look.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Oh the overall design? not just the finish.. okay. I guess if you can imagine Dark Helmet's Threnody with a graflex clamp and bubble strip, it's not too different... the emitter will be a little different, I don't have any pictures of that yet, but it's similar to a BH#8.

Ok got ya........

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default "gut check"

I tested out the board that I'm gonna use - it still works. I also repositioned it to the pommel side - where it should be - and it all fits... just about perfectly. So I don't have to extend the hilt length [I thought I might have to from the last update] .

In addition to testing out the board, I put on some of the ribbon wire for what will eventually be the bar graph and a quick-connect for the LED.

I also had a 3-way quick-connect (same as for the LED, but with three connections) that I'll use for the recharge port. The recharge port will get screwed-in under the covertech knob, so this connector ended up working well. I also had to open up the covertech hole a bit and thread it with a tap - it should be pretty cool.

Anyway, here's the pictures...

full album
    http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...ern57/MONGREL/

eastern57