Thread: Looking to get my feet wetter...

Default Looking to get my feet wetter...

So I've completed my first MHS Lux 3 saber and I want to try making another, but with basic sound this time. I gutted out a Hasbro Force Action Vader Saber and want to add the soundboard to a basic LED setup. I just want to make sure that I've got this all right in my head.

For starters, I want to still use a LED kit that's offered at the TCSS store. I'd like to keep this as simple as I can.

1. I run the soundboard directly to the LED like it was a resistor, essentially replacing it, right?

2. For the switch, I use the SPST Push on/off - Mom switch. It will just be a little wacky to turn both the LED and sound, right? Like one full push for the LED and then a light tap for the sound or something to that effect?

3. If I'm running the 4AAA battery pack to power both board and the LED, will I see a lowering in the LED brightness? Should I go with a different power setup if I want to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or answers that are thrown my way.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatide12 View Post
    So I've completed my first MHS Lux 3 saber and I want to try making another, but with basic sound this time. I gutted out a Hasbro Force Action Vader Saber and want to add the soundboard to a basic LED setup. I just want to make sure that I've got this all right in my head.

For starters, I want to still use a LED kit that's offered at the TCSS store. I'd like to keep this as simple as I can.

1. I run the soundboard directly to the LED like it was a resistor, essentially replacing it, right?

2. For the switch, I use the SPST Push on/off - Mom switch. It will just be a little wacky to turn both the LED and sound, right? Like one full push for the LED and then a light tap for the sound or something to that effect?

3. If I'm running the 4AAA battery pack to power both board and the LED, will I see a lowering in the LED brightness? Should I go with a different power setup if I want to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or answers that are thrown my way.
    1. No
    2. No. No.
    3. No. only if you want to.

Advice - read the bajillion threads on hasbro boards

There are a whole lot of different Hasbro boards so the question has a lot of answers.

Here is a good thread to start with on that journey: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...read.php?t=372

You can run an LED off of some Hasbro boards, but typically not very well.

My personal opinion is that you would be best off running the Hasbro board and the Luxeon driver board in parallel ( http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Lu...r-V2-P230.aspx ). It will cost a bit more than other options but sidesteps so many issues (like having to use two switches).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbat View Post
    There are a whole lot of different Hasbro boards so the question has a lot of answers.

Here is a good thread to start with on that journey: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...read.php?t=372

You can run an LED off of some Hasbro boards, but typically not very well.

My personal opinion is that you would be best off running the Hasbro board and the Luxeon driver board in parallel ( http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Lu...r-V2-P230.aspx ). It will cost a bit more than other options but sidesteps so many issues (like having to use two switches).
    Yeah what he said...I did a hasbro board once no pun intended but yeah as long as you do it correctly it aint so back. Friends get a kick out of it cause they're expecting like and MR but yeah it's fun. Oddly enough the hasbro Luke ROTJ is one of my favorite power ons...no joke that and it was my first lightsaber as in officially made piece of plastic and not some piece of PVC or wood painted to look like a lightsaber.
    ...YUP!