Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tired of MR board sounds any alternatives?

Default Tired of MR board sounds any alternatives?

I've used 3 MR Boards already and so far they all work pretty well but now i'm sick of hearing the dumb Swing sounds

are there any boards i can get for under $100 that sound decent?

CF boards sound awesome but at $177 it is a bit much

I was thinking about getting an Ultra board but i heard it sounds worst than an MR Saber.

Unfortunately at the moment there are no good alternatives to MR boards.

Obviously the CF is amazing but like you said it can be a little pricey, but
    ultimately availability is the issue at the moment.

I've never owned an Ultraboard but from what I've heard and seen via youtube they do sound better than an MR (if not by much) and they do have the advantage of also being a Lux driver like the CF. Again though availability is the issue. New is sparse, but apparently version 2.0 of Ultraboard is in testing currently and looks to be pretty promising but no one knows when exactly they are coming out.

There is the SW-616 board from the Fx Construction Kit available at Radio Shack, but these have been put on clearance (since they are made by MR who is no longer with us R.I.P.) so they can be fairly hard to find but not impossible. Those are going for about $35 and have the advantage of having both "Jedi" and "Sith" sounds so you get some more variety over the standard MR boards. (2 sets of crappy swing sounds!)

If money weren't an issue I would say keep an eye out on Ebay for and Ultra or CF to pop up, but you are gonna pay out the nose for either one there and you had already mentioned wanting to keep it under $100

So there's my 2 pennies hope you find it useful eventhough I have to admit it's somewhat dissappointing.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Is there anyway i can attach an accelerometer to my MR board to make it have more accurate swing sounds??? i hate the stupid tilt sensors on it so slow to sound...

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Axis-low-g-Acc...QQcmdZViewItem

i was thinking of buying that or something smaller and cheaper

any ideas if something like that will work?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's how the board interprets the accelerometer that matters. MR's are just on off... accelrometers need to interpret the data it's getting. It can't be a simple swap.

The Joe-Jedi is nice for the price. If you just want better sounds IMO the Ultraboard isn't going to do it.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Joe-Jedi or CF, economy or luxury. CF is hands down freakin amazing and worth the price imo. Joe-Jedi is nice for starting out and for projects that may not warrant the $170 CF investment. One tip though, one way to stretch the worth of the MR is by making sure that you have a good resonance chamber, a high quality speaker like the one found in TCSS, and ample sound holes. Those three things can make a mediocre MR board sound a lot better.
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Actually both my sabers are the 616 mr boards and i have resonance chambers on both of them along with 2watt premium speakers

i built the resonance chamber out of a film plastic canister container and the speaker fit perfectly into the lid so all i had to do was bunch holes on the lid and it became the best resonance chamber i ever used well except maybe the copper tube chamber that thing sounded awesome but made the handle too heavy...

hmm guess i'll just wait til i find another sound baord before i build my next saber

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

2 watt? how big are they? and where did you get them?

well my V1 US board has been workin really well for me so far. i do wish tghe V2 ones would release soon, as i got a couple other sabers waiting for one.

i did grab me a sw616 from RS for 35 bucks, but havent ripped it apart for the board yet.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Since I heard "resonance chambers", I might as well chime in and echo what a few folks have said, including STR of RRRRRRRRRrrrrr!!!

Res chambers are a GREAT way to make a "junky/mediocre" saber... improve tenfold.

Additional things to improve an "iiinnnnh" saber? Yup:

* Indicator LEDs -- you can add these, and maybe even throw your own special 555 (timer circuit) at them and screw around

* Vibration Motor -- you can throw one of these into a saber and give it more pizazz and panache... granted, make sure you add a switch so that it can also be turned OFF!

* Quick-Swap LED/mount -- if you can, make it simple to quickly swap your red LED for a blue one! It's easiest with the MHS, but... whatever you want to do...

* Blade diffuser film -- if you haven't tried X-wing's method or Erv's or the Ultra/Gelu style or whatever... TRY IT/THEM! This will make your saber utilize the light a LOT better.

If all we're talking about here is "improving the sound" on a Hasbro or FX... uh-uh... furrrgett it... no can do, sister! I don't think so.

Just be happy if you DON'T have one of those idiotic Vader or Maul sabers with the *SINGULAR* clash sound. God I hate that. Drives me *NUTS*. Bonkers, even.

I'm sure there is some clinical/medical term for how annoyed I can get from listening to that monkey-weasel board, but... I don't know. "Corn-holio" on crack comes to mind.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I'm in the same boat as you, Tekka, I'm running my saber off a Hasbro, and the lame swing sound is starting to get to me to the point where I want to just yank out the sound module (or just disable the motion detector entirely)
    "You fool! I've been trained in your Jedi circuit diagrams by Count Dooku!"