Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Here goes, Smokes first saber!

Default Here goes, Smokes first saber!

Well here we go, I sketched the basic idea and have decided to go with a sink tube for the hilts structure. I plan on cutting a custom emitter and making an aluminum sleeve on the end, just in case I wanna hit someone with the end of it, plus I think it'll look sweet.

Saber Concept:
    http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9...conceptoe0.jpg
    Picture is a little big....
    Also I erased the rings on the front view to see what it would look like, I also have no idea hot the sink tube adapter would fit so I drew different possibilities of it.

Some things im still thinking about:
    I think the length im shooting for is 9.5 in. Too small? Any problems I may encounter?
    Debating on whether or not to have the rubber ring grips and the ribbed brass plate.
    Also considering eventually making a twin for a staff style saber. If I did, does anyone know any alternatives to just screwing them together? Kinda want a quick and effective way to connect them and disconnect.
    Not exactly sure on the pommel, I have 2 designs on there. Dont know which one would look better.

I really need all the input I can get before I actually start cutting and ordering parts. I wanna make my personal saber pretty sweet and would appreciate creative criticism/ideas/suggestions you know?

-EDIT Oh ya I still havent decided on the hilts color either. Im pretty bad with that so suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
    Last edited by olesmokey; 06-09-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Default detachable staff saber

Corbin came up with an idea for making a staff saber come apart into two single sabers.
    Take the sinktube adapter with a double male for the pommel of one saber, then take blade holder 1 for the pommel of the other saber. now slide the two sabers together and mark where one of the pre-drilled holes in the sink adapter so you can drill a hole big enough for an 8-32 screw to fit snugly to hold the sabers together. if you use a thumbscrew it comes apart without any tools. Hopefully this helps. let me know if you have questions.

I have seen two sabers that simply are put together, twisted and they click together. How is that accomplished?

Default Click together hilts

the hilts are probably put together with a L shaped groove on one end and protruding pieces on the other/ this type of joint is not very sturdy as when the protruding pieces break off, then the two are almost irreparable. this is done through custom machining. otherwise, the joint could be made up of the same idea but countersunk L shapes. where the L and ¬ shapes attach. i'm not sure if you can visualize this but that is the most common way. i am actually thinking of using dovetail joints to make a saber that can attach but then it would not click and is susceptible to falling apart by sliding.

i really like the shroud concept here.

but if you do custom machining to make seperable hilts, i'd think about using a spring-lock in one of them. a little added stability never hurts.

just thinking conceptually, i'm still a noob here.

Quote Originally Posted by olesmokey View Post
    I have seen two sabers that simply are put together, twisted and they click together. How is that accomplished?
    It's called a bayonet mount, and they are actually quite sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    It's called a bayonet mount, and they are actually quite sturdy.
    Where would I get one of those? And for what price?

Sorry Smokey, you can find bayonet mounts on all variety of things, from light bulbs to blenders to... well... bayonets, but I don't know of a mount that you could simply buy and attach to a saber. You would have to have one custom made.

Darth Anubis

I made is there are some changes

*no o-rings
    *sink tube over brass tube
    *alt. pommel
    *each side of the emitter is cut into

so you like it?

Wow! That looks great! I think I'll make some changes myself!