Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: suggest switch placement

Cool

I'd say one of the guarded switches in the store, and a tactile switch based somewhere in the bottom copper section, would look pretty sweet

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

wireless remote.
    The marking of a Sith

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stevegel View Post
    wireless remote.
    Or throw in a reed switch so it will look like I'm using the force!

I'm going to look at some momentary sliders... I will have to look closely at their spring force. A twisting motion just has me hesitant a bit because if I get a little intense in dueling or wrench it around while it's on my belt I don't want it to go on.

I test fit some pieces today and I'm going to use a set of 14650's in it with the board stacked on top. It's not the max I can fit but runtimes will still be respectable yet install will be easy. Thus the top half will be relatively empty... I'm going to look at getting some brass rod and making something really kick butt. (hint: spring loaded)
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Good luck with that X. I seen a momentary push button that looks just like a slider on all eletronics.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Ok. I may be talking out of my butt, but I assume we're just throwing ideas around here...

What about a slider hidden inside the hilt that is attached to a piece of metal that sits flush with the outside of the hilt? Think of that small sliding piece that sits just to the left side of the red button on a graflex. It's not obtrusive and wouldn't interfere with the look of the hilt. The trick is how to secure the switch to the hilt and the "outer switch".

Again, I'm just brain storming here...

How about just having the small tactile switch in the store? It would look pretty cool and yet still be low profile. What sort of run times will you be getting out of it with the 14650's?

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malaki Skywalker View Post
    How about just having the small tactile switch in the store? It would look pretty cool and yet still be low profile. What sort of run times will you be getting out of it with the 14650's?
    After sketching with some internal dimensions I've decided I will be using tactiles. I'm going to have someone machine me an insert of copper or brass that will act as my backing and heatsink all at once. This will also add significant heft to the saber.

The insert will have a notch like on graflex adapters. I'll put in some low headed tactiles. Then the goodness! It'd be a real pain in the arse to deal with a tactile like the one with the store... I'd have to thread it up there then slide the insert, etc..

So what I will do is have them be internal and make my own stems to attach! I'm going to take some brass tubing and mate it to copper rod. This combo will make my switch stem. Once I slide in the insert I can just push the stem in from the outside and a dab of glue will have that sucker on good. The real bonus is it will look classy as ever.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Cool

Now that is a sweet idea! Would look pretty tidy. You going to have any flashy cosmetic LED's? A bargraph would really take her to the next level

I don't know...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malaki Skywalker View Post
    Now that is a sweet idea! Would look pretty tidy. You going to have any flashy cosmetic LED's? A bargraph would really take her to the next level
    As of right now I'm not sure. I'd like to mirror the buttons on the opposite groove with a green and red, but I'm not sure yet. It looks like my internal idea isn't going to fly I forgot about my recharge port...

I wanted to put a crystal "chamber" that would pop out when opened. I would mate the columns to the internal insert. The columns would also be brass/copper tubing but loose so they slide. The idea was to put a spring so that it would slide and pop out when I split it in half. The recharge port really needs to be there though...

SO it looks like I will be forced into the accent LEDs. I need some bling/blinkies and that will have to be it!

I forgot to mention the 14650 runtimes. I'm going to expect 1 1/2 hour runtimes at least. 18650's at double the capacity can run a K2 for 3 1/2 @1.5A. I'm planning on a Rebel which is slightly lower on the voltage and only 1A so I think it will be solid runtimes.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Sounds like a plan lol, can't wait to see her finished, keep us up to date X Talk more on MSN?

I don't know...