Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: suggest switch placement

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default suggest switch placement

Okies... I designed this saber a while ago. Much work still to be done, but Don got the major stuff done for me.

Before I send to to be anodized a brass color I want to figure out my switches. Now I'm not loaded with time right now and I figure it'd be interesting to feed it to the crowd.

It will hold a CF card. So I need two switches... I want them to be minimal. If your idea is some BMF anti-vandal switch don't say it, I will beat you for it.

For reference the slots in all the copper are so that I can loosen some screws and the cooper will slide to reveal set screws. The heatsink I set about the placement it will be in the hilt. As I just said the copper will be hiding all the set screws that hold it together. It will look rather seamless when done.

My best idea is to get a set of tactiles and mount them in the groove of one side (they're matching on either side) sort of like an Ani AOTC. I'm not sold on that... so give me your thoughts. If you can think of something somewhat easy to install you get bonus points. Tactiles would need a backing. I'm going all out so gluing junk isn't what I'm going to do.

Last edited by xwingband; 06-16-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: picture hosting sucks...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

linkys no worky...

says no linking from this site.. (hot linking disabled?)

How about an anti-vandal switch??....

Sorry, I just had to.

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    linkys no worky...

Fun workaround: right click link, copy target, paste into address bar

As for switches, are you limited to momentary/latching? If you can do latching, I think some small sliding switches in the groove with nice covers would be VERY classy. (Not sure if that's what you meant with the Anakin AotC thing)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    linkys no worky...

Bah... fixing soon... I wanted to use a free uploader, but I always end up using my own hosting because the free ones are making it so hard/stupid.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It will have a CF so there is no limit to the switches other than the aux should be momentary. I will wait for some more responses before I say what tickles my pickle and not.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

How about for teh main power switch a small toggel switch in an led bezzed but as for an aux button I have no clue.

Iam still trying to figure one out for myself.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by Flyerfye View Post
    Fun workaround: right click link, copy target, paste into address bar

As for switches, are you limited to momentary/latching? If you can do latching, I think some small sliding switches in the groove with nice covers would be VERY classy. (Not sure if that's what you meant with the Anakin AotC thing)
    yeah I tried that..but for some reason...didnt work.. using FireFox..

maybe cached link? I didnt clear it and try again.. I was on my out of work.

x-

thoughts:

1.) I see the pommel has a slant and looks to be recessed.. maybe thr main power can go there, gives you room & hence more options.. (sorta like Arms on Fire's bronze saber/hilt/project)..

that being said.. as far as AUX buttons.. I sorta like the function/feature dictate the placement..

if its somethign that would/could be used in battle/dual such as a clash/lock-up/blaster deflection..

"I" personally find myself wanting my TOP hand on the hilt to be pressing a button on the UNDERSIDE (ie: with my pointer finder) whiel siwnging/or actually locking blades (and pushing) with another dueler. (sometimes the TOP hand thumb 9middle placement feels right too...)

so I try to put those somewhere functional and intuative where it can be activated during use.

2.) I see the top copper piece has a little extra length after where the heatsink will stop..

if you put a notch/half circle sort mimicing the notch in the top you can sorta silde a button placement in there.. (hope that makes sense)

Are you looking to have a latchign for the main on/off or a momentary? I had posted a link to that company that has some very neat and small LATCHING type buttons..illuminated as well..optional with caps/covers too.. (like the power symbol for example) they will send you two buttons of your choice as free samples.. maybe this would be your best solution?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's a nice, sleek saber and I think anything sticking out of it would ruin the aesthetic of it.

Now, hear men out on this, cause I'm gonna ramble...

When I read "I, Jedi" I really liked the idea of the "dual-phase" switch: as in, twisting your wrist to activate it. I've been thinking about this and I think I have an idea that "might" work...

Since you have a middle section that's a smaller diameter, it wouldn't ruin the flow if you put in another ring or center section that's the same OD as the top and bottom. I have a 3-position "slider" switch, that's spring-loaded that ultimately works as a dual-momentary SPDT - the spring returns to the middle position... "twist one way, activate, twist the other way, blaster lockup etc" KNow what I'm trying to say? and it's yours if you want it.

But a regular slide switch - if sunken in a little - should still work the same way. but you'd have to get another switch for the Aux. I just think that buttons and flippy-things would interrupt the look of it.

Does this makes sense? I can explain another way if you want...