Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Saber dueling videos

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Saber dueling videos

I thought I would start a thread where people could post their saber duels. With so many people getting Novastar's CD, there will hopefully be lots of videos to come.

Here's my first, to get the ball rolling. My friend James came over last night and we filmed a duel out in the parking lot. I'm the one with the blue saber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6mvCVC2D4E

We shot a couple of other videos, but I haven't uploaded them yet. I'll post them here when I do.

I'll probably order Novastar's CD this week. When we know a little more about staged combat, we'll make more videos. We had a ball doing this, and I was surprised at how much of a workout it was. We were dueling for about 1 1/2 hours, and I'm feeling it in my legs today. My thumb is still sore too, where he cracked me with his blade.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Three points of awesomeness in your video:

Background Theme music - definitely loud enough to fill even the outside space, reminiscent of "I'm gonna git you, sucka"... but with more of an imperial feel.

P4 Brightness - that's wicked bright.

Passing Cars - they look like blaster bolts and at one point, a passing car coincided with a blade hit and it actually sounded like a blaster report... HA - Awesomeness...

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thanks!

That was just the sound from the iSaber mode. I was surprised at how well it came out on the camera.

If the passing landspeeders looked interesting on the vid, I wonder how we looked to them! I bet that more than one person drove by and said, "What the...!?!"

The second one just finished uploading. This time, I have the yellow blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fZWC0jpxk4

I wish that they weren't so dark. You can hardly see my awesome takedown when I swept his legs out from under him! In the original copy, you can see us quite clearly.

The complaint about darkness when a video is uploaded to youtube seems to be a fairly common one. Somebody out there must have figured out what needs to be done to fix it. Regardless, video quality seemed ok.

My only comments are these:

1) You were throwing blows at each other's blade. You need to aim for the body, but be prepared to pull the blow if it sneaks through.
    2) You were way too far apart to actually be a threat to each other.

That said, for someone who's just starting out and just throwing it together for the fun of it, it certainly wasn't bad. I've had some experience sword fighting, and as a result I've developed an eye for what's happening. (I'm usually disappointed by sword fights in blockbuster movies.) Practice and you'll only get better. When you've memorized the number system Novastar uses, you'll be able to do free-form fights by calling out the attack number. Then, just upload to youtube without sound, and it'll look like you're just fighting.
    Last edited by Voice; 06-15-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    The lightsaber: An elegant weapon from a more civilized age...
    ... or the galaxy's best utility knife?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yeah, I freely admit that we were just out there hacking around at each other for fun. Like you say, we can only get better!

Thanks for your insight!

Dude we would get along great! Good job man, we have been getting together weekly here in Southeast Iowa and dueling. I took a blade to the nose last night, I look like a boxer today!

Love the brightness too, I changed the batteries in my p4 yesterday and it was so bright it washed out a Red-Orange saber when we locked.

Keep it up and Ill have a new video to add next week!
    Your tongues can't repel flavor of that magnitude!
    www.myspace.com/iowajedi

In the cantina drinkin' Colt 45's with Lando

cool vid! I wish it was brighter as well so I could see your "moves" instead of just the sabers moving... dueling is awesome, unfortunately my dueling buddy is moving next month so its solo duel time for now... any of you guys want to come to Florida? Hahaha

great vid bro!

DDD

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie View Post
    Yeah, I freely admit that we were just out there hacking around at each other for fun. Like you say, we can only get better!

Thanks for your insight!
    Great to see folks out there dueling, Obi-Dar... did you check out my Sound CD closely? There is a staged combat tutorial there--although it's fairly tough to utilize it (without a lot of experience) when going for things "spontaneously"...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Default ddd

Hey DDD, where in florida are you? I'm in Titusville. Wouldn't mind doing some dueling.

In the cantina drinkin' Colt 45's with Lando

Im in Panama City, checking out the map here im about 6 hours away! Ouch.

Im going to try and bust out a vid with my friend soon so I can post our poor saber dueling skills for the world to see! hahaha...

DDD