Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tim's vacation

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Tim's vacation

Have fun!

If I may suggest a few things as I was there last summer. Plan to do things early or late and make the easy things in the afternoon. The temperature fluctuations there are nuts. It'll be like 40's-50's in the night but bloody hot in the afternoon.

Honestly I liked the Tetons MUCH better than Yellowstone. Jackson lake is beautiful and the town is good. I took a float trip on the Snake river and if the weather is nice it's beautiful. Again the afternoon is killer though as on the water it'll make it seem hotter and the rubber raft heats up.

Animals... If it's the same as last year our float guide said the upper part of the Tetons and in between the that and Yellowstone where the road is is probably a good place to see a bear in the early/late hours. Our float guide said a mother bear had had it's cub killed by a male bear so that it would go into to heat. Thus it learned to stay near the road there because the males don't come near the road. I guess he was right because we saw a bear right in that area.

Ohh... also on the float trip there is an eagle's nest along the way.

That's all I've got. Here's me and my sis outside of Lewis Falls:
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I'll throw in a suggestion or two as well...since I am originally from that area.

Jackson Hole is a tourist-trap, and the prices reflect it. Yes, it is beautiful and worth seeing, but avoid staying there too much. It's become the playground for the Hollywood elite and it is far too expensive to stay fro too long.

Cody, Wyoming is a nice town just outside the Park to the East. Small town, but there is a lot to do. I suggest the Buffalo Bill Cody museum for some fantastic exhibits. You could burn a whole day in that museum with no problems at all. There's rafting on the Cody river, the Buffalo Bill Cody Dam (highest in the world until Hoover was built), the Cody Night Rodeo.

Have fun in Yellowstone (the world's largest volcanic caldera)!

Well I live about 100 miles from Yellowstone now and I have yet to visit there . It is one of my 'holy grail' vacation spots and I want to see it during the summer and the winter. There was an article in the local paper on Monday and it appears there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground and some roads and campgrounds are still closed. Heck, I even woke up this morning to find it had snowed last night (albiet very little - but there is still white on the ground). Anyways, I hope Tim has fun with his family.

Have fun, Tim and a lightsaber battle with a bear would be kinda interesting.....NOT!
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming ! We have never been there. I have my father as our tour guide, but he has only been once Want to make sure we dont miss anything great.

The one thing I will tell you about your Yellowstone trip:

If you're going to see the really cool stuff, you'll want to take the tour of both the North and the South Loop. That's where the Yellowstone Falls, Old Faithful and such are located.

When you go to the falls (Upper and Lower Yellowstone Falls), don't go to the same pull-off are as everyone else...you'll only get to see the falls from the vantage point like you see in the photographs. There is a pull-off and parking area further towards the falls. You'll have a 20 minute walk down a winding sidewalk, but you'll come to a large concrete pad...AT THE BREAK-OVER POINT OF THE FALLS!!!!!! Sorry! Tens of thousands of gallons of water per second streaming over the falls and falling 308 feet below. The canyon smells of sulfur, so be warned. You'll want to look for signs to the "Lower Falls". As described on a favorite tourist guide site:

About one-half mile past the Upper Falls the Yellowstone River drops 300 feet over the Lower Falls and crashes into the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. There is a steep downhill trail from the top of the canyon to the brink of the falls that is well worth the hike, but the return trip is not for the faint of heart or lungs! It feels like it is STRAIGHT UP, but just remember the altitude and take it slow with lots of rest stops!

You think Tim's going to bring a bunch of lightsabers he made and use them as flashlights/torches to see at night while camping in Yellowstone? hahaha

Have fun though! Dang.. maybe I should put in my order now! Doh!

TAKE LOTS OF Pictures.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of in·san·i·ty!
    Witty Quote

Spoon fEeD A nOOb

have a good vacation TIM
    Visit Star Wars Space

BTW Happy birthday xwingband. better late then never. Don't drink too much.

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    Have fun!

If I may suggest a few things as I was there last summer. Plan to do things early or late and make the easy things in the afternoon. The temperature fluctuations there are nuts. It'll be like 40's-50's in the night but bloody hot in the afternoon.

Honestly I liked the Tetons MUCH better than Yellowstone. Jackson lake is beautiful and the town is good. I took a float trip on the Snake river and if the weather is nice it's beautiful. Again the afternoon is killer though as on the water it'll make it seem hotter and the rubber raft heats up.

Animals... If it's the same as last year our float guide said the upper part of the Tetons and in between the that and Yellowstone where the road is is probably a good place to see a bear in the early/late hours. Our float guide said a mother bear had had it's cub killed by a male bear so that it would go into to heat. Thus it learned to stay near the road there because the males don't come near the road. I guess he was right because we saw a bear right in that area.

Ohh... also on the float trip there is an eagle's nest along the way.

That's all I've got. Here's me and my sis outside of Lewis Falls:
    The marking of a Sith