Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CF v4.0 help needed...

Once again everyone's help is sooooo much appreciated, I don't know where I'd be without all your guidance....!

Since my last post I've followed your advice and formatted the SD card *lots* of times. I first formatted it on one machine about 15 times and when I attempted to copy everything back onto the SD (using Select All > drag to SD) it kept erroring when it got to a particular file in bank2. Strange. The files I was trying to copy back had been copied off the SD card originally.

So I then formatted the SD on a different PC several times and attempted to copy the original files back again. Same thing, but with a different file. Hmm...starting to wonder at this point whether I have a duff SD card or a dodgy card reader perhaps.....

I then formatted it again lots of times and downloaded the original CF v4 sound font zip file from Plecterlabs, which then copies to the SD card fine without any errors. Progress!

So this morning before I headed off for work I did a quick test with the CF card. I've still got the latching switch only hooked up as a master power, in line between the batt and +ve, plus the speaker and Lux. I plonked the SD back in the board and successfully fired up the CF card about 10 times with the same result each time ie the Lux fires up and the saber ignite then hum play as they should. More progress!

Just got home from work and I've been testing it a bit more. Again it would fire up with the Lux & sounds time after time. I've then remove the SD card (with master power off) and re-inserted the card and a couple of 'problem' boots surface, about 5 in all one after the other. I then removed the card and re-inserted a couple of times and it settles again to the point where it will now fire up every time again unless I remove and re-insert the card. Seems almost like it's hit-n-miss as to whether the card seats properly.....possibly...

I've also identified one other prob in that my latching switch seems to be past its best, so I'm going to buy some new switches tomorrow and try those. I watched Erv's soldering tutorial last night and have identified a couple of solder joints that I need to re-do also.

I'll post back once I've had chance to do some more work/testing on it this weekend.

Been doing some work on the CF... I was struggling with my two soldering irons (a 12W which would barely melt the solder, and a 40W which was too fierce but with a 'spade' shaped tip making precise soldering tricky)... I then saw a 30W pointed-tip iron on offer at maplins for 4.99 and thought what the hell, let's try it. Anyway it's perfffect for the CF with its small solder pads! A proper stroke of luck. It's made the whole thing so much easier having the right tool for the job. Plus it melts solder almost instantly right on the tip like on Erv's tutorial vid.

Anyway I digress... I've got some reels of wire now in the correct guage and some new switches. I'm working out the lengths of wire carefully before I solder anything and will build it a little at a time.

My reason for posting is, are there any do's and don'ts with the CF? For example before I desoldered everything and it was misbehaving, it's like the CF board didn't like being switched off then powered on 5 seconds later....because that's when it would start acting odd. Also I found that removing the SD card (after powering off) then re-inserting it would sometimes cure the problem. So if there are any quirks or known behaviour that might help put my mind at rest please someone shout!

Cheers

With all of that random behavior, I would try a different set of batteries altogether. To rule out the cells.

I also have a question... when you said you were copying your files over to the SD card and it "errored" on bank 2... do you mean that the operating system on your computer stopped the copy during the process and told you that there was some type of error with one of the files?

You might want to check certain files for problems, or replace the entire lot of them with default files that are freshly downloaded (or taken off of my CD).

Finally, I would say there really aren't TOO many "don'ts" with CF and soldering other than just using proper soldering technique. Don't leave the iron on a pad for more than 2 to 3 seconds (max). It shouldn't take much to effectively solder a wire to the board (nor a wire to a wire). It should be basically touch and done.

EDIT: Try another SD card entirely too... to rule it out as well. Basically, the more "secondary" items or fixes you try, you get closer to ruling out switches, buttons, SD cards, batteries... and even solder points if you redo a solder until it looks PERFECT.
    Last edited by Novastar; 07-03-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: oops forgot to mention SD card
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Ok good advice, as soon as I've re-soldered all the connections I'll stick a fresh set of batteries on there to rule that out.

Regarding the copying-to-the-sd question, yes you're correct. The OS encountered a problem with one of the files. I tried it on two PCs and my Mac running Windows - same problem each time. I then formatted the card dozens of times and downloaded the default CF v4 sound bank set from Erv's site - that copied across just fine and the CF was a bit less temperamental after that.

I think when I soldered it the first time (with my dodgy iron) my technique left lots to be desired even though the resulting joints were pretty strong. The solders since I've got this here new iron are much better and easier to do.

Interesting... so--that problematic file (or files)... where did they come from? Can you make a new version of that file by getting it from the original source again? That might help.

And yes, if there are pretty much ANY problems when copying to the SD card on behalf of the OPERATING system... it's not likely that CF will be able to interpret the files correctly.

Another thing is that not all SD cards are made alike... so far I think Erv says only Kingston and Sandisk are known to work... and there is one company (name escapes me) which is known NOT to work.

As to solders--a few simple checks you can make:

* Always clean the iron before and after all solders
    * Always pre-tin both parts if possible
    * After soldering, pull fairly hard on the lead--tug from different angles. If there is no effect... good job! If it breaks... you know what to do.
    * Hopefully ees all shiny and purrrrteee... heheheh
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

The problem file was one of the files in bank2, from the default CF set. I'd copied them from the SD card as a backup when I first got the CF. I hadn't modified or edited them in any way as I'd barely got my saber built.

Default 4 beeps????

My CF4 decided to beep. Tried reformatting, different cards. Tried to reboot with Aux and on off switch at the same time. Tried making sure the card seats in properly. No luck. Any ideas? Thanks!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Do you have a lot of music files loaded for isaber? I've had similar issues, it turned out that I had too many (and too big) sound files in the "tracks" folder.

Try taking out all but one of the tracks. Reformat a bunch of times, reload (cut and paste all at once) and see if that works. If it works, repeat the process with two tracks. Follow me?

Pretty much what you're doing is finding the limit as to how many tracks you can load and how big the tracks folder can be.

Also, hopefully you've been doing what Novastar preaches: using a separate folder for the load and transfering the whole lot all at once - after formatting.

I don't know the reasoning behind formatting a lot before you transfer a new load, all I know is that it works.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    Do you have a lot of music files loaded for isaber? I've had similar issues, it turned out that I had too many (and too big) sound files in the "tracks" folder.

Try taking out all but one of the tracks. Reformat a bunch of times, reload (cut and paste all at once) and see if that works. If it works, repeat the process with two tracks. Follow me?

Pretty much what you're doing is finding the limit as to how many tracks you can load and how big the tracks folder can be.

Also, hopefully you've been doing what Novastar preaches: using a separate folder for the load and transfering the whole lot all at once - after formatting.

I don't know the reasoning behind formatting a lot before you transfer a new load, all I know is that it works.
    Hey Estern!
    Thanks bud. popped in another card from my TPM and viola it works. Whats with these cards man? Two messed up??? I tried removing some music files and re re reformat them. At least I know CF is OK. Thanks again!!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You're welcome. In the users manual, Erv recommends Sandisk and Kingston brands. Any other brands aren't guaranteed.

They're just finicky little things...