Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another franken-saber

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Really? I just might do that.... what's wetsand?

I have put parts on a 'dowel' in my drill and spun them... while 'wet sanding'

wet sanding is using a very high (anywhere from 1000-2500 for auto) grit sandpaper that needs water applied to keep the grit clean of debris usually.

I have used a 400 & a 600 on a few MHS parts to spin...as well as some brass & copper

its best NOT to just hold the paper around the tubes/parts with yoru fingers..but to use a padded rubber/foam pad or something.....that can keep a somewhat flat/even surface.

this works good if you have some grooves or 'speed lines' cut into your parts that you want painted as well.. just paint the part.. let it dry.. sand it down.. the grooved parts will be painted still.

I've used this set from Micro Mark.
    All the way up to the 12000 grit, all I can say is wow, does it produce. Very, very time consuming to do by hand, but worth every bit.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Hey cool. That's one thing that's missing from pretty much all my hilts: finish. I spend so much time on electronics and layout, that I didn't even care if I scratched it... I'll have to stop that.

Thanks all!

Almost forgot Eastern, pick up some of this aluminum polish for after you are finished wet sanding.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Rgr, polish - check

nice saber

the brass thing next to the emitter, what is it? And how did you put it on?

yeah eastern..

I think I asked that previously abou tthe brass 'ring'.. and I either didnt get an email notification.. (or its a secret)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default "brass" ring

It's a gold ring from a MR Mace. There's two of them on a mace, but this is the smaller one.

It's held in place by pressure: it's seated over an o-ring on the blade holder and the pressure from tightening holds it in place. No glue, solder or adhesive, just pressure - but, holy cow, is it on there tight!!

cheap trick to add some bling, but I like it
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have done similar..

I bought a 'raw' brass sink tube.. it has a smaller inner diameter (wall thickness is thicker than conventional tubes)..

and this lets me cut small rings/bands out of it and polish it up and place it inbetween the threads of MHS parts.. small bling that adds minor detail... but it all adds up.