Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Question on what Batteries.

Eastern makes a great point... it's funny--I made a thread on Li-Ions (and their benefits) just about a year ago. I also opened a poll on what battery type people felt were best for sabers.

It's good to see that more people are seeing the advantages of Li-Ion. Not that they are the end-all be-all... but they certainly pack a wild punch with voltage, and regarding energy density... well... you almost cannot beat them when comparing cells of 100% identical dimensions.

I will personally continue to recommend the 18650s Li-Ion cells for many reasons.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I've got Li-Ions on the way, and I'm looking forward to getting everything all together and lit up.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    I will personally continue to recommend the 18650s Li-Ion cells for many reasons.
    I use Li-Ions almost exclusively. The only reason I wouldn't is if I'm using an MR board, and I want 5-6V - everything else is either 18650s or 14500s.

Ok two things really quick:

First, Battery Junction is having a sale on li-ions right now, about 30-50% off

Secondly, nova brings in the next size up, now according to my reading it is both the next size up in mah (2400 vs 900 I believe) and size (67mm I think vs 55mm?) So does this mean I would have to cut down springs in a battery holder? would they fit at all or do I just have to solder them together? Im not afraid to do that, just thinking of possibilities.

Hope I get my responses quick so I can order on that sale

ps (Tim is out of his and has been for a while, or else I would not mention another source here)

hmm it appears that the 18650s are 18mm in diameter? anyone? bueller? def too big for a holder or even side by side mount for two wouldnt it? but I could use one for a lux 3 stunt couldnt I? once I start adding driver/sound I would need the higher voltage to warrant two in a row?
    Last edited by Tradeliphine; 11-29-2008 at 08:26 PM.

I <3 Mako

18650's are indeed 18mm in diameter....they are also 65 mm in lentgh, and of course won't fit in a AA sized battery holder....you'll need to solder them together yourself.

Yes, you could use a single one for a Luxeon III led in a stunt...and yes, you'd need two for a soundboard like the cF or US 2.0.

Make sure you get protected cells or buy the protection circuit to go with them. You'll need it to ensure proper recharging and discharging.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

i got several weird looking round circuit boards in the grab bags which I later identified as pcbs, so even though I have them I would rather wait and use them down the road when I am more comfortable with that process, I have been looking at the protected ones atm.

I <3 Mako

moved*
    Last edited by Tradeliphine; 12-14-2008 at 06:57 PM.

I <3 Mako